Duron folding/worth building?

mwhx1

n00b
Joined
Jul 20, 2004
Messages
18
Duron folding/worth building?

Do Durons fold ok?

Is it worth building since I only need cpu, heatsink, and video card to complete it?

The parts I’m looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819104159
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835151111
http://www.pcdirect.com/product.asp?Sku=VICM-AGP786

What kind of overclock can I expect out of that cpu?

This would give my lonely solo boxen a naked folding buddy for a grand total of $50.97

Misc. parts used in build:

MB = Abit AN7
HD = Seagate 40 Gig
PSU = (craptastic) Allied 450W
MEM = 512 MB Kingmax PC3500



 
mwhx1 said:
Duron folding/worth building?

Do Durons fold ok?

Is it worth building since I only need cpu, heatsink, and video card to complete it?

The parts I’m looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819104159
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16835151111
http://www.pcdirect.com/product.asp?Sku=VICM-AGP786

What kind of overclock can I expect out of that cpu?

This would give my lonely solo boxen a naked folding buddy for a grand total of $50.97

Misc. parts used in build:

MB = Abit AN7
HD = Seagate 40 Gig
PSU = (craptastic) Allied 450W
MEM = 512 MB Kingmax PC3500



sure it's worth building...
I've heard (i know this is old) that the durons can oc pretty well.
 
I checked on over at fahinfo.org and he didn't have alot of info on Durons. What little I found indicated a max of 27points/ghz (or 43ppd) for the 1.6ghz processor on a Gromacs work unit. The benchmark PC is a 2.8ghz Pention 4, and yields approx 110ppd as I recall.

As for overclocking, I can't help you there.

Seems marginal to spend $50+ for 43PPD, but that's your call. Do you pay for your electric costs?
 
I do pay for my electric. Those PPD numbers look bad. Maybe I'll pass, not worth the power.

Thanks for the replies



 
I've had a dual AMD box running 1.8ghz Durons for over a year now. For the most part, they seem to keep pace with the 1.53ghz MP "Palomino" cores in my other dually, so I'm not complaining. Two boxen, 4 cores, ~2700 PPW.

The Durons are running about 600 PPW apiece, 3.5 PPH on their current projects:

durons.jpg





 
Back
Top