Dual monitor setup question

wesmaster

Gawd
this could go in the video card forums but i think it fits here as well. i just got a Sony SDM-X73 LCD monitor and i LOVE it. now i am wanting another for a dual setup. my 9700 PRO only has 1 DVI connector and one VGA (i think thats what it is) connector. so how should i do this? should i buy a video card with 2 DVI or VGA connections or can i run one monitor in DVI and one in VGA? can a 9700pro even support dual monitors?

If I were you I would just run the second monitor using your VGA port. I don't think you will notice a difference in quality. It is the most cost effective way also.

There are dual DVI cards but you can just put a second monitor on the VGA connector.

definately just put the secondary monitor on VGA, you'll never see a difference with a good quality monitor if it's a seconday display. You mainly only need DVI for a primary monitor, for games and such.

thanks guys just the answer i was looking for

Also how do games work with a dual monitor setup? does the game stretch across both monitors or does the game appear on one monitor and then the other monitor would be the desktop??

Originally posted by wesmaster
thanks guys just the answer i was looking for

Also how do games work with a dual monitor setup? does the game stretch across both monitors or does the game appear on one monitor and then the other monitor would be the desktop??

one monitor is designated as primary, the other as secondary. for regular desktop apps, it makes no difference, they can go on either monitor or stretch across both. games will typically automatically run on the primary monitor (windows lets you designate which you prefer to be primary), and the secondary monitor will continue showing the desktop or whatever it was already displaying. if you're running different resolutions on the monitors it can get a bit wacky when the primary monitor changes resolution for the game, the desktop windows will re-arrange themselves and sometimes you'll see the top corner of a window pop into the second monitor. it's just a little odd, nothing hindering or even really annoying, but if you're running the same resolution that won't be an issue at all.

now i have a question. can i run 3 with a 9800 pro? :) i plan on buying two lcds, one dvi one vga .. but i have the secondary vga as well (which i'm currently using for my dual crts). can i have 3 lcds plugged into this .. cause that'd just be neat.

Back