Dual desktops, one PC?

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
I am planning to consolidate my gaming PC and workstation into one computer. I would like to keep separate monitors and keyboard/mice as I already have 2 sets and like what I have.

The 2 monitors are a few feet apart so this would not be a typical dual display. Plus I am running slightly different OSes. The way I imagine it working is I can reboot and load the gaming SSD/OS and play some games on the gaming monitor, will have the other one set to disabled. And vice versa when I want to do non-gaming activities.

I can't think of any reason this wouldn't work but thought I would run it by you guys before I get any farther along. Attached is a diagram of what I'm planning.

The reason I have different GPUs in the diagram is because there are issues with Geforce drivers and Windows LTSC.

Attachments

• desktop.png
    desktop.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 0
Why not just run the workstation OS in a VM and get rid of the second monitor/mouse/keyboard?

what CPU? Going to need a lot of cores for this to be viable. 8+ IMO unless you don't need much for your workstation. Should be fine though.

Why not just run the workstation OS in a VM and get rid of the second monitor/mouse/keyboard?
The main reason is because the workstation monitor is a Dell 34” Ultrawide which doesn’t have gsync or freesync. Also the mouse is a Logitech Master 2S. So those aren’t really the best options for gaming. The keyboards are close enough but I do prefer my gaming keyboard for games.

If I didn’t have those reasons I suppose it could work but there would be a learning curve as I don’t have much experience with VMs and I suspect some of the things I want to setup would be a PITA. I also will treat the gaming install more carefree in regards to jacking around with settings and installing things. If I need to wipe it out and restore from a backup, it would be much less of an issue.

Another thing I should have probably mentioned is I don’t get to spend much time on gaming, maybe just a few hours a month. But I do want a top notch experience when I do.

what CPU? Going to need a lot of cores for this to be viable. 8+ IMO unless you don't need much for your workstation. Should be fine though.
Why would I need a lot of cores? the 2 “systems” won’t be running simultaneously.

Right now I have a placeholder i3-9100F until my preorder for the Xeon E-2288G ships.

Planned system specs:

Gigabyte C246-WU4
Xeon E-2288G
2x16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC
MSI RTX 2080
Corsair AX850
970 EVO Plus
X550-T2

plus a few other SSDs

Why would I need a lot of cores? the 2 “systems” won’t be running simultaneously.

Right now I have a placeholder i3-9100F until my preorder for the Xeon E-2288G ships.
Why not just dual boot it?

The main reason is because the workstation monitor is a Dell 34” Ultrawide which doesn’t have gsync or freesync. Also the mouse is a Logitech Master 2S. So those aren’t really the best options for gaming. The keyboards are close enough but I do prefer my gaming keyboard for games.

Got it.

If I didn’t have those reasons I suppose it could work but there would be a learning curve as I don’t have much experience with VMs and I suspect some of the things I want to setup would be a PITA. I also will treat the gaming install more carefree in regards to jacking around with settings and installing things. If I need to wipe it out and restore from a backup, it would be much less of an issue.

Another thing I should have probably mentioned is I don’t get to spend much time on gaming, maybe just a few hours a month. But I do want a top notch experience when I do.

Setting them up in VMs would let you avoid having to shut one down and reboot into the other. That's a huge benefit when you've got something running on your WS and want to kill some time gaming.

Why not just dual boot it?

That's what he's asking about doing.

Setting them up in VMs would let you avoid having to shut one down and reboot into the other. That's a huge benefit when you've got something running on your WS and want to kill some time gaming.

That is a huge benefit and probably the biggest reason I wouldn’t want to dual boot. I’ll still go ahead with the current plan for now and see how it goes.

I actually have another PC, an older Lenovo TS140 hooked up to the “workstation” monitor/keyboard/mouse via the built in Dell KVM on the monitor so I can fall back on that to run workstation tasks while gaming depending on what it is. This is partly the reason for consolidating - I feel 3 PCs is getting borderline ridiculous.

What VM software do you like? I’ve used virtualbox in the past but very little.

Back