dual band n

trick0502

Supreme [H]ardness
Is the fastest speed you can connect at with n gear 300mbps? i thought there was a way to connect on 2.4 and 5ghz at the same time? that would put you at 300 + 300? am i wrong?

I think your router will have to have 4x4 MIMO antennas (for 4 total connections) and compatible equipment on the other side to achieve that speed. IIRC, this stuff isn't widely available on the consumer market yet.

Having a dual-band router doesn't mean you can bond the channels, it just means that you can have both types of clients connecting at once. At least at the moment.

Plus those speeds are just theoretical maximums.

Last edited:
I think your router will have to have 4x4 MIMO antennas (for 4 total connections) and compatible equipment on the other side to achieve that speed. IIRC, this stuff isn't widely available on the consumer market yet.

Having a dual-band router doesn't mean you can bond the channels, it just means that you can have both types of clients connecting at once. At least at the moment.

i am using NETGEAR WNDA3100-100NAS and NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS (the router is v2)
both say 300+ 300 on the box. did i get fooled?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122227

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326

edit: the usb card is v2 also

Last edited:
It says "up to 300 mb/s" in the specs so I'm not sure what you're referencing.

Over USB 2.0 your max is 480 mb/s, plus the overhead for that... so it wouldn't really be 600 mb/s anyway

This thread intrigued me, so I looked at why people are constantly being fooled by this claim... found a good explanation to the marketing gimmick in another forum:

N300 / N600 seems to really be a "marketing" move. N300 is the true speeds as the 802.11N can max out @ 300. Marketing probably consider that since both the 2.4 Ghz and the 5 Ghz "radios" can do up to 300 each:

300 + 300 = 600
So yes, it would appear that you got served.

Note that it's the only reference it makes to those numbers. If it was actually capable of achieving those speeds, you would definitely see that being smacked all over the package, because such a thing would make nerds cream left and right.

Typical netgear BS.

bastards!!! i've been out of the router loop for a long time. my dgl-4300 has been great to me over the year, but it died. so i got a netgear router and usb card. i checked out the reviews and they were good, so i got them. plastered on the back of both of the boxes is "300 + 300" which leads you to believe they can do 600mbps. also, they both have "n600" in their names.

not really a big deal to me, this is much faster and more reliable then my old set. it was just once i had it i wanted to make sure i was getting everything out of it. i am very happy with what i got. 12.5 MB/sec from an N device to my gigabit htcp. compared to 2.5MB/sec with my old g setup.

Nope.

Its 300 on one band and 300 on a separate. You cant be dual connected or you would require the same IP twice or have two network cards, then you would have to use some form of wireless 802.3ad in which the netgear does NOT support.

Its 300 5g or 2.4g and no other way.

The reason is that there are so many 2.4ghz devices, cordless home phones, cameras, wireless keyboard mouse, the list goes on. The interference can be quite extensive. 5ghz is clear of that mess and can give a good strong signal that wont be interfered with. That is what Dual band means. So you can network your house at 2.4ghz and yet put your one or two TVs or PS3 or whatever on 5ghz for solid streaming HD.

The WNDR3700 that I run has the same thing on the box 300 +300. I knew exactly what that meant. I do not for one think they were misleading anyone. They expect that most people willing to shell 149 for a home router would understand what dual network meant. However for a lot of people I understand completely that they may not have that understanding so tisk tisk on Netgear for choosing a horrible way to sell the technology. I agree with you there.

There is no current consumer wireless standard on the 2.4ghz or 5ghz that is on the market that can throughput at 0.6gbps

12.5 MB/sec from an N device to my gigabit htcp. compared to 2.5MB/sec with my old g setup.

Lol run a wire to your HTPC if you can. I get 120+ MB/s. Wireless sucks for large data transfers period. It works fine for media streaming though.

Last edited:
if you are thinking that you are going to get a trunked connection with a speed of 600Mb/sec, yes you got fooled. mostly your fault for believing in the box.

well i was getting the router regardless of what the box said. the router has great reviews. it was just that after seeing the box it got me thinking.

Back