DSL IP Keeps Changing

mrtheshaggy

[H]ard|Gawd
I use a VPN connection to connect to a work server. They have a shit DSL line with a dynamic IP that randomly crashes. So I am sitting at home, connected, working...then I lose connection. I can't reconnect because its midnight and no one is at work to say what the IP changed to.

Is there an easy way to find out what the IP changed to?

You can also use dyndns.org's dynamic DNS services to use a name like "shittydsl.dyndns.org" instead of having to figure out the IP.

As a business they should be able to get a static IP. I was able to request one for the lab DSL line I have. Failing that, yah DYNDNS would be the best option.

It's a commercial DSL line that we get because we use custom built machines for all the software we use. So its a random room in a big building that has unofficial hardware and internet.

Dunno if any of the suggestions will solve the real problem, which is the crashing DSL line. You might want to look into that.

Dunno if any of the suggestions will solve the real problem, which is the crashing DSL line. You might want to look into that.

Might just be the PPPoE session ending and refreshing the IP address. I've seen some of my client's Fairpoint DSL connections do this.

I too, dont think its a DSL crashing problem, I have plenty DSL providers in my area who change the IP of the modem every 48h.

I'll look into the DDNS method. I did find a tempoerary solution. I installed Hamachi. I don't plan to use its VPN functionality. However, it will communicate the IP address to me even after it changes.

Static IP isn't an option and its more an issue with the modem and phone line being old. Sometimes the IP lasts a month, sometimes it lasts an hour. DSL just blows, but its all we can use.

I'll look into the DDNS method. I did find a tempoerary solution. I installed Hamachi. I don't plan to use its VPN functionality. However, it will communicate the IP address to me even after it changes.

In threads like this, it would be nice to know the name of the company whose "admin" involves third parties in the network ad-hoc without any consideration about the security of their software.

Static IP isn't an option and its more an issue with the modem and phone line being old. Sometimes the IP lasts a month, sometimes it lasts an hour. DSL just blows, but its all we can use.

Why? I pay $5 a month for a static on my backup DSL.

DYNDNS is a bandaid. Fix the problem right the first time.

Why wouldn't static IP be an option?

Usually if you have to make a new PPPoE session you'll get another IP. If you are reserved the same IP then it seems to be a pretty clear solution to your main VPN problem (the issue of it dropping out is another subject, you could probably post line stats though).

I remember having a Netscreen 25 as a WAN facing device when using DSL, you could click a PPPoE refresh button and get a new IP address in about 2 seconds.

Why? I pay $5 a month for a static on my backup DSL.

DYNDNS is a bandaid. Fix the problem right the first time.

DynDNS is less than $3 a month ($29.95/year) and offers several additional services. Static IPs are nice, but I use DynDNS to access my customer networks where they don't need to or want to pay for Static IP.

Choose the tool that fits the problem.

Yep Hamachi must be temporary, its not meant for that and like TCM pointed, it can expose your network.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/se...-sohos-but-not-so-good-for-the-enterprise/686

Not only that, but using it for business purposes quickly becomes a licensing question as well. Plus:

"During the installation, the device running the client is assigned an IP address in the 5. range. This address range is reserved by the IANA. So there is currently no danger that an address used for the virtual NIC"

if they still do that, they're violating network transparency since 5/8 is very well allocated now.

DynDNS is less than $3 a month ($29.95/year) and offers several additional services. Static IPs are nice, but I use DynDNS to access my customer networks where they don't need to or want to pay for Static IP.

Choose the tool that fits the problem.

I just don't see the purpose to using a 3rd party solution that is not infallible to fix a problem when the proper solution that is 100% reliable also exists.

Back