DS Lite: Carnage in Japan!

That is the worst example of carnage I have ever seen. They're all waiting patiently in line. Show me a picture of Gamera attacking and we might have some carnage.

I just bought a DS/AC bundle for my g/f. The display is way too hard to see with any decent amount of ambient light. The DS lite seems to resolve that problem.

Has N given a release date for the US? From what I understand I can't play online games against US users using a Jap light.

Carnage = no way to get the damn thing. Not like the carnage you'd get in the US for sale at Target or something. The Japanese rarely get 'out of hand' when they're waiting for something :p

You COULD import the Lite just fine and it will work in English (online as well, since the wifi network is not region-limited) after you get past the first few menus. However, the DS Lite is reachin the US on May 7th I believe, to launch alongside the new 2D Mario game :D

From what I understand if a person were to order a DS lite now, especially in the states they wouldn't get it for over a month. Plus the price is now $199 at lik-sang.

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
ummm that doesn't look like carnage to me...

As I've said... carnage in Japan does not equal what you'd expect from us crazy North Americans :p At least, I didn't mean it in the 'destruction' sense of the word.

I meant it in the sense that people were all over Japan yesterday looking for this thing, driving/walking/bussing it to every electronics store in the company looking for a DS and not finding one. And the few that did find one, likely got gouged to hell on it.

2 entries found for carnage.
car·nage Audio pronunciation of "carnage" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kärnj)
n.

1. Massive slaughter, as in war; a massacre.
2. Corpses, especially of those killed in battle.

Heh... so Canadians are a bit more polite :p
But the Japanese usually remain civil and calm in situations like this as well (i.e. I don't remember people getting stepped on for the PS2 launch, either :D

steviep said:
Heh... so Canadians are a bit more polite :p
But the Japanese usually remain civil and calm in situations like this as well (i.e. I don't remember people getting stepped on for the PS2 launch, either :D

I totally dig Canada. Even in Toronto people are much more polite than they are in Boston.

palindrome said:
Boston people are polite as long as you get the fuck out of my way!

Yeah and the unfortunate thing is that everybody is always in the way. You're not truly a Botonian until you walk a sine curve instead of a straight line, and then congegrate in large groups in front of stairs, sidewalks, doors, etc.

Or remember when that school district in texas was having a sale on ibooks and there was this stampede? That was pretty damn sad.

Anyways, to make this post on topic:

Even though I have a regular ds, the lite is very tempting for its portability. Then again, it will probably just cramp my fingers even more...

Does no one else have a problem with the brightness of the current DS? In a shaded room it's pretty much ok but outside, in a car, or anywhere near light it's almost impossible to see.

cb9fl said:
Does no one else have a problem with the brightness of the current DS? In a shaded room it's pretty much ok but outside, in a car, or anywhere near light it's almost impossible to see.

I've only ever had trouble when playing it outside in the daylight. The new one is supposed to be significantly brighter.

Did you even read one of the links I had up there????

:p hehe there are some sort-of-daylight comparison shots.

steviep said:
Did you even read one of the links I had up there????

:p hehe there are some sort-of-daylight comparison shots.

They're all blocked for me. When that happens I read the thread, make some inferences based on what people are saying, and design my smartass comments accordingly :D

Slartibartfast said:
They're all blocked for me. When that happens I read the thread, make some inferences based on what people are saying, and design my smartass comments accordingly :D

Not you, I meant cb9fl... kinda directed that post at him since he's done the same to me when I was unable to read the links he posted :D

The DS Lite is MUCH brighter, it seems, and will likely play just fine in bright sunlight.

steviep said:
Not you, I meant cb9fl... kinda directed that post at him since he's done the same to me when I was unable to read the links he posted :D

Oh, well fine, I didn't want to talk to you either :p

LOL... sorry, I was too busy catching up on the Escapist ;)
/end off-topic

The new screens seem to perform fine outdoors, take a look in this thread towards the bottom of the page for some shots. There are comparrison pics scattered throughout the pages so be sure to browse around.

steviep: The reason I specifically stated "the current DS" is because I am concerned with the brightness of *tadaa* the current DS. I know the new one is brighter, I'm just curious if other people have the same problem as me.

cb9fl said:
steviep: The reason I specifically stated "the current DS" is because I am concerned with the brightness of *tadaa* the current DS. I know the new one is brighter, I'm just curious if other people have the same problem as me.

I have the original DS.. and i don't have a brightness problem.. infact.. many nights i would play the DS in my room before i go to bed, with all the lights off.. and had no trouble at all seeing the screen...

Well yeah I'm sure you can see it fine at night with all the lights off. I'm not talking about it being too bright rather I'm saying it's way too dim. Oh well guess I'm the only one that has the problem.

cb9fl said:
Well yeah I'm sure you can see it fine at night with all the lights off. I'm not talking about it being too bright rather I'm saying it's way too dim. Oh well guess I'm the only one that has the problem.

Heh, you're not alone. On a sunny day and outdoors, it's pretty hard to actually see what's going on unless you're out of direct sunlight or if you find some sort of shade to play under.

Edit: fixed what i meant about sunlight.

cb9fl said:

oh okay.. i see.. i don't know.. i don't think i've played my DS out in the sun..i gotta try it though..

Back