DreamScene for the rest of us?

Sovereign

2[H]4U
Is there some other, third-party app that can duplicate the whole "running movies as desktop backgrounds" functionality of DreamScene WITHOUT causing me to lose my desktop icons or using screensavers? It can be "for XP" because I would bet that it would run fine in Vista Business...

I used to do this with winamp back in the day and it worked pretty good. maybe search around the winamp site for the plugin?

I'm really, really struggling to see the appeal of DreamScene, or any other ultimate extras for that matter.

It's like a great wave of people have suddenly decided that 'Plus Packs' are now cool, where before they were met with disdain. Perhaps it's just that a lot of people have realised they spent heaps on Ultimate and got little to no practical benefit from doing so, and are now grasping at straws.

Desktop modding is silly enough for starters, IMO, without using a looping video for the thing. Who the hell really sits there looking at their desktop anyway? You'd have to be retarded! Or have nothing else to do!

I'm really, really struggling to see the appeal of DreamScene, or any other ultimate extras for that matter.

It's like a great wave of people have suddenly decided that 'Plus Packs' are now cool, where before they were met with disdain. Perhaps it's just that a lot of people have realised they spent heaps on Ultimate and got little to no practical benefit from doing so, and are now grasping at straws.

Desktop modding is silly enough for starters, IMO, without using a looping video for the thing. Who the hell really sits there looking at their desktop anyway? You'd have to be retarded! Or have nothing else to do!

Thank you for your entirely useless contribution. If desktop modding is "retarded," then why did you bother posting in this thread?

As for the people who offered actual help, to you I am grateful. Now, if someone could help me with two problems:
1. VLC does not seem to have the option for "Play in desktop" anymore when I right click on a file
2. VLC either plays a nice, black screen (AVI files) or some weird color (WMV files). I don't know what is wrong with my computer, maybe missing codecs or something?

Winamp only seems to offer playing visualizations as backgrounds, which is not what I was looking for.

You'd have to be retarded! Or have nothing else to do!
Why would you be looking for "enlightenment" from retarded people.:rolleyes:

Anyways, If I remember correctly as you are playing the file you can right click and you should have an option for "Desktop" or "Desktop Wallpaper".

You may also set it to continuous loop however there is no way to set that as your wallpaper on start up. You must again open the file and choose desktop wallpaer.

Hope that helps.

For some reason, I can't seem to find this Desktop option. I have version 0.8.6 and right clicking on any playing file does NOT offer this choice. Further, playback is terrible as the "Aurora" WMV plays as one big pink square, while the same file plays back fine in WMP.

I'm with you regarding Dreamscene. I never see my Desktop. I have it, have downloaded the extras, and played with it. But I never use it. My other half on the other hand uses it. I don't much see the point in it.

You'd best sit down here beside me, Alias2, and await enlightenment. We must be both missing something, it seems.

While some people may be trying to justify their investment, you are similarly trying to justify your non-investment, with a hint of superiority I might add. I don't mean this is a malicious way - just trying to enlighten you.

But seriously, have you even used Vista? Yeah it is overpriced if you pay retail or buy it at Staples, but at $199 for the OEM version of Ultimate, it is far from consumer rape.

XP has more mature drivers, etc, but you know what? Generally, aside from the frivolous eye candy and features, Vista is a much better interface in general and more intuitive. I find it much more enjoyable than XP now, and I am far more productive with it.

I'm agreeing with some of the people here in that Dreamscene adds nothing. Who stares at their desktop all day?

Secondly, Vista is what XP should have been 5 years ago. There are only a handful of things that make Vista better than XP, namely being the comprehensive search in the start menu (infinitely useful), and the revamped address bar that doesn't go by actual address but rather by folder (more like Apple's finder), which I find much faster to navigate than the folder tree or using the up button.

I'll admit though, it's nice. Quirky, but better than XP so far. Haven't ran into too many problems with programs that don't work or nonexistent drivers.

Who stares at their desktop all day?
That's what I was thinking. I sometimes forget what wallpaper I have on any given computer.

However, DreamScene is nice for that wow factor. It's not much, but it's something.

FlimFlam, I have Vista Premium here installed, Vista Ultimate here unused, and have not only been running Vista since the early Beta phase but have also written many articles about it. You're about as far off the mark there as it's possible to get. OEM Vista Ultimate isn't the 'sweet spot' for the majority of people either. Retail Academic Upgrade Premium is. With the exception of those people who actually have need of Domain join for workplace connectivity or Remote desktop host there is absolutely nothing extra of cost-effective value in Vista Ultimate. Most people buying it are doing so for the fancy name.

I'm sorry this turned into a bash-fest, though. I seriously was hoping to draw out some comment about what the benefit of looping video desktop is, in the hope that somebody could indicate some form of practical purpose for it..

Thanks for hijacking my thread guys, real nice of you to take your personal opinions of something and turn a "Help me" thread into "I'm going to push my agenda and debate and let off fumes of superiority" thread...*leaves*

Thanks for hijacking my thread guys, real nice of you to take your personal opinions of something and turn a "Help me" thread into "I'm going to push my agenda and debate and let off fumes of superiority" thread...*leaves*

I'm not trying to defend any of the hijacking, but you did get some answers. You could have gotten some cocky replies to use the search function, as this has been answered in quite a few threads. Again, I'm not taking sides...just pointing out that getting an attitude isn't the best way to go about things.

I seriously was hoping to draw out some comment about what the benefit of looping video desktop is, in the hope that somebody could indicate some form of practical purpose for it..
You are worse than I am at asking things then, because it came off like a massive ego trip.

Some people like it; Others don't care about it. That's about as much enlightenment as you are going to get. If it feeds your ego, you can believe you are a better person for being in one camp over another.

Back