Download / Upload speed question

Rajaxx

n00b
Hey, guys.

I am currently in Ohio for a family reunion, and I wanted to ask any Internet-savy people a question.

So, at home, whenever I run a Speedtest, Ping is 53, Download is 5.44 Mbps, and Upload is 1.07 Mbps. I am concerned about this in two ways:

1. We had someone from Wowway come over to our house a while back to look at the internet, and told us everything was fine, and upgraded our internet free of charge. But it seems like that the internet gets slower as each and every day passes by.

2. I use XSplit, and I like to stream, whenever I am playing certain MMOs / MOBAs. With a 1.07 Mbps Upload, I can't do much, since it bottlenecks my FPS hard, and causes in-game lag.

However, from what I found out from my parents, everything is going through a splitter, that is divided up to each TV in the house, and each PC.

The big question here is: If we have a splitter, and we have every PC / TV connected to it, does that reduce the amount of Download / Upload we should be getting?

Why I am asking this, is because when I get back from Ohio, we're calling Wowway again to check our internet / upgrade it, and we were thinking about pulling the Cables out of the TVs and PCs we do not use.

I would appreciate some input on this.

Wrong forum, but I moved it for you because it's Friday.

The only thing splitting will do, (providing all of the cables/terminations are fine), is lower your RF signal strength. If the cable company checked it, then it should be good. Its not one of those things where having more TV's reduces your capacity really. What you need to find out from your cable company is what service level are you paying for? For instance, if you are paying for 5/1, then you are getting what you are paying for. If you are paying for 30/5, then you need to bitch, or possibly replace your cable modem.

If you go around and unplug TVs and your speed magically goes up to like 10/5, then something is either wrong with the cable or the thing the cable is plugged into.

If you have more devices connected to your local network they may be trying to access the internet for updates etc. so this will take away from your available bandwidth that you can get out to the WAN with.

Networking. Where it is now.

We need more information than you've offered;
- what hardware are you using?
- I'm assuming this is cable based service?
- What modem and router?
- What speed are you paying for, up and down?
- Are you getting what you're paying for?
- Are you splitting off a splitter to get to the TVs (leaving the modem on its own line or just after the first splitter from outside)?

well, what is your connection speeds supposed to be?
is this cable tv/internet or something like DSL?

it looks like all of their internet packages are set at 1Mbps upload speed.

edit: ok, looks like it's cable. I would expect STBs to have any effect on internet speed with cable.

Back