• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

down sizing from a 5.1 configuration

Joined
Nov 9, 2009
Messages
2
I currently have the klipsch promedia 5.1 for my computer. But I just got the asus Xonar Essence STX sound card, and I am wanting to down size to either a 2.1 or 2.0 speaker set up to use the RCA jacks only. I really like the klipsch, but they take up too much room. I am trying to keep my budget under $350, but willing to spend a little more.

I have decided not to deal with a receiver since I don't have space to put it on my desk, and I don't want it by my feet. Another concern of mine is I have gotten use to having deep bass so I am leaning towards a 2.1 set up.

Have been looking around for some speakers and 2 sets that I saw which might be interesting are the Audioengine A5 (better sound, less bass) and the blue sky exo's 2.1 (lower quality sound, much deeper bass).

I also have a set of the Swans M200MKIII that I am using in my bedroom. I have thought of getting something a little smaller for the bedroom, and move the swans to the desk, but of course the swans lacks the deep bass.

What speakers should I get/use for my computer? I am sure there are tons of other speakers that I have over looked, so if you have some other speakers that fit the bill please let me know.

Thanks
 
none of what you're looking at will give you the same bass as the 10" klipsch sub

I would look at M-Audio, Mackie, Audio Engine, Blue Sky, etc monitors, with an additional sub (like M-Audio's BX10s)
 
The only problem with the BX10s is that that one component costs as much as his total budget. :)

From what I've been reading, KRK speakers have better bass than most 2.0 monitors due to their front-firing bass ports. They would be high on my list if I didn't have room for a sub, since a lot of 2.0 sets are a bit light in the bass department.

I own the A5s and like them a lot, though I prefer using them with a sub for more substantial bass.
 
I am willing to spend more, but if possible I would like to stay below that 350 number. I also know I will be losing bass (I just looked on my speakers and I have the promedia ultra 5.1 it has a dual-driver 8" subwoofer, not the single 10"). Many times I think I have too much bass so less is alright in my book.

What are your thoughts on the blue sky exo 2.1 set? are they not worth it? would there be any improvement on sound quality, or a decrease?

For the KRK's, do those need a power cable to each speaker?

thanks
 
Back
Top