• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Don't know much audio.

meinzorn

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 12, 2003
Messages
1,327
ok... maybe someone can help me. I want to get a sound card for my computer. I would like to be able to run at least two microphones into it at one time at least, but maybe 3 (depending on the budget). And I just want good sound quality.. it doesn't have to be perfect.. I just want good.

and I mean actual mics too, not the cheap ones with a 1/8 connection

I don't want to spend more than 100$ on it.

any advice?
 
meinzorn said:
any advice?

Save more money. For $100 i highly doubt youll be able to find what you want without sacrificing some serious quality.
 
pfunkman said:
Save more money. For $100 i highly doubt youll be able to find what you want without sacrificing some serious quality.

Well, What are "good" cards in the 100$ price range?
 
I'd suggest an M-Audio card of some sort. Decent converters, and they're flexible in terms of inputs. They generally have cable-snake like dealies that have XLR inputs. I suggest you do use some separate pres, however, unless you're using fairly easy-going dynamic mics.

But, yes, more than $100.
 
This would do the trick however it only has 2 hookups. I dont know what quality would be like but its M-audio and i like them.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Audiophile-2496-PCI-Digital-Audio-Card?sku=701341

Personally i would go with this, Its refurbished but is a hell of a deal. Considering its normally $179 on the same site $129 is killer. not to mention free shipping.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Audiophile-192-PCI-Interface?sku=703610V

Wasnt able to find anything with 3 mic inputs for anywhere near $100.

But persoanlly i would save the $$ and spring for these or comparable.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Delta-1010-LT-PCI-Digital-Audio-System?sku=701376
 
They're not really that big. I think they just like to work the perspective to make it seem very large. In any case, they fit comfortably in most cases, including rackmount PC cases, but are most commonly used in Mac G5s/Mac Pros.
 
you sould stick with an onboard sound card or something cheap with a single mic input and get a little mixer ala
http://www.behringer.com/1202/index.cfm?lang=ENG

and just run a line out of the board to the computer
you could also run 1 mic into the mic input on a sound card and a stereo line in to the soundcard from the mixer pan hard left and right and that would get you 3 seperate channels if you were wanting to multitrack or something

ghetto but it works
 
yeah, I do need to multi track.. I could make do with 2 mics.. that would be enough.. don't want to spend a fortune on this.. so I guess i'll have to make due
 
some Audigy Platinum card could do. They have ASIO for multitrach recording and 2 mic inputs, and cost about what you want to spend. You will need XLR to 1/8 adapters, though.
If you are serious about this recording rent a mixer, this will be the cheapest option with no sacrifixe in quality.
 
I might actually be able to get a mixer from my bro. I'll have to look into that.
 
Back
Top