Does Dell Charge a 15% restocking fee for returns?

pudge

n00b
Considering the purchase of a Dell monitor. However, I checked the Dell site regarding their return policy.

It says "Restocking Fees: Unless the product is defective or the return is a direct result of a Dell error, Dell may charge a restocking fee of up to 15% of the purchase price paid."

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/policy/en/policy?;s=gen&~section=010#total

Does Dell charge restocking fees on monitors unless "defective"? Their language says "may".

If I just don't like the monitor and return within 21 days will they charge a restocking fee? What has your experience been?

Thanks

If you want really good returns, look at Costco. Their returns policy is 3 months, any reason (longer for non technology products). Bring it to the store, they refund all your money.

Well, turns out Costco offers some of Dell's LCDs on Costco.com. They also sell other LCDs in store, but no large ones I've seen. Their website and store have different inventories, however something ordered from the site is returnable to the store. They will refund the full purchase price, including shipping, handling, and tax.

So if you want to buy a screen and be sure you can take it back, that's the place to do it. The only problem is they have a narrow selection. In the >= 24" category, it's all Dell. Below that there's some others (and a few others still in store) but not much.

However if you want a Dell, it might just be the way to go.

I just purchased a 2007WFP through Dell.com yesterday. If I get a dead pixel I'll just complain that the display did not have correct color, and it is "defective", to get an exchange.

If you want really good returns, look at Costco. Their returns policy is 3 months, any reason (longer for non technology products). Bring it to the store, they refund all your money.

Well, turns out Costco offers some of Dell's LCDs on Costco.com. They also sell other LCDs in store, but no large ones I've seen. Their website and store have different inventories, however something ordered from the site is returnable to the store. They will refund the full purchase price, including shipping, handling, and tax.

So if you want to buy a screen and be sure you can take it back, that's the place to do it. The only problem is they have a narrow selection. In the >= 24" category, it's all Dell. Below that there's some others (and a few others still in store) but not much.

However if you want a Dell, it might just be the way to go.
Thanks. I will take a look at the Costco site

I just purchased a 2007WFP through Dell.com yesterday. If I get a dead pixel I'll just complain that the display did not have correct color, and it is "defective", to get an exchange.
Getting an "exchange" is not what I am concerned about. They say on the site they will offer an exchange. My concern is getting a refund (if necessary) without a restocking fee.

My guess is that Dell normally would not charge a restocking fee if an item is returned in a timely fashion. However they could charge a fee under their written policy.

In my view their written policy is bush league. Dell (or any company) should state up front whether they do or do not charge a restocking fee and under what circumstances.

Back