Does anyone use a program/system to track staff car mileage?

YeOldeStonecat

[H]F Junkie
See subject. :D

A client I take care of is wanting tighter control of staff mileage...nurses driving all over the place.

How covert/sneaky does your client want to be? For our vehicles we just check the odometer, since the routes and distances are predetermined. There are fleet gps services that can track vehicles via gps in real time etc. If it's small scale though I'd go for getting one of those gps navigation devices that can do trip playback.

Sounds like you are wanting fleet tracking. I will go ahead and plug the company I work for. if its out of line someone let me know and I will remove the link. If you have any questions about gps tracking just let me know and I will be happy to answer them.

www.gpsfleetsolutions.com

Sounds like you are wanting fleet tracking. I will go ahead and plug the company I work for. if its out of line someone let me know and I will remove the link. If you have any questions about gps tracking just let me know and I will be happy to answer them.

www.gpsfleetsolutions.com

The company I work for does something just like this for police. It's always funny seeing how the patrol people get pissed off that their cheif wants the software / hardware installed in the cars because now they can't slack off and do nothing or go and stop at home for half the day :p

A former co-worker decided to lo-jack his older daughter once she started driving around. She had a lot of mysterious "I'm going to work for 4 hours" scenarios that ended up bring 6-8 hours some evenings.

There's a USB device that you can buy which is pretty cool (Link is just for reference, obviously that one isn't available at Think Geek anymore.) All you do is download the info and clear it at the start of the day, then have the employees take one with them (or hide one in each vehicle where it can clearly have access to GPS signals.) At the end of business download the info, purge and put it back in for another day.... easy!

2.png

Thanks for input so far...

Added notes....
It's a home healthcare agency, so nurses that are using their own vehicles. Routes are thus very random, all over the place. I don't believe managent wants to make sure someone is "where they say they are"...rather..just keep more "accurate" records of mileage..since nurses with their own vehicles will turn in mileage sheets for reimbursement.

Added notes....
It's a home healthcare agency, so nurses that are using their own vehicles. Routes are thus very random, all over the place. I don't believe managent wants to make sure someone is "where they say they are"...rather..just keep more "accurate" records of mileage..since nurses with their own vehicles will turn in mileage sheets for reimbursement.

So GPS is out the Window (for whoever else that my be interested, Qualcomm's got the best GPS on the market...).

Right now, they are turning in their mileage off the reimbursement sheets? So, they are fine with that process, it's just plugging the miles from the reimbursement into a software is all they are looking for?

If so, what kinds of things do they want to track? For some basic numbers (Driven/month) or whatnot, Excel would be great at that.

Are the nurses equipped with laptops? I really want to say that using streets and trips with gps would be the best as they can just input addresses to find routes between two points and it can also track the actual route they take and you can export it.

Also devices like the garmin nuvi tomtoms magellangps etc have trip logging options that you can export and view on the desktop.

Added notes....

I suppose you can have them record destination addresses (or I assume you would have these already) and just run a script that will use mapquest or similar to calculate distances.

print out a table on paper.

Name, Job, mileage out, mileage in, clean out, clean in.

Thats it. monthly the office chick checks it and logs the miles over to accounting.

print out a table on paper.

Name, Job, mileage out, mileage in, clean out, clean in.

Thats it. monthly the office chick checks it and logs the miles over to accounting.

If I know traffic on a road is bad I will take a different way that will get me there quicker that day therefore a standard set rate will not work.

yeah but it's not a standard set rate...at least it isn't if you take your odometer reading before you start and then again when you get back...

the only other way i could think of doing it would be some sort of sat nav solution that rather than using it as a route finder per se, it was just used as a recorder. i know some people over here in the uk that have in-built sat nav in their cars use it in this fashion when they take their car in for service...generally people with nice cars, to make sure they don't get used as delivery vehicles or jolly vehicles.

i guess it depends how anal they want to be about it though...lets face it, if people are out and about and are going near somewhere where they need to pick something up, they are likely going to call in... or is this more about people just generally rounding up?

So GPS is out the Window (for whoever else that my be interested, Qualcomm's got the best GPS on the market...).

Right now, they are turning in their mileage off the reimbursement sheets? So, they are fine with that process, it's just plugging the miles from the reimbursement into a software is all they are looking for?

If so, what kinds of things do they want to track? For some basic numbers (Driven/month) or whatnot, Excel would be great at that.

My hunch is.....management wants to make sure there is no "inflation" of mileage being turned in. Keep staff from padding the numbers a bit to get a fatter reimbursement check each month.

I didn't know if there were any "fleet mile tracking hemptamolators" out there like a little GPS device that staff could be handed to them.

With staff using their own cars, I'm guessing it's not really allowed to install any computerized hardware in their cars.

My hunch is.....management wants to make sure there is no "inflation" of mileage being turned in. Keep staff from padding the numbers a bit to get a fatter reimbursement check each month.

I didn't know if there were any "fleet mile tracking hemptamolators" out there like a little GPS device that staff could be handed to them.

With staff using their own cars, I'm guessing it's not really allowed to install any computerized hardware in their cars.

You can get these devices, but I think the real question is, do you want to portray a mistrust image to your employees and second, does the business or management really want to spend that much money on such a system.

I guess they would need to sit back and think, does a $10,000+ system really work to an advantage in a cost benefit analysis?

Then you also have to deal with the legality of it, while you can put these in employees cars with their permission, they might not be okay with you installing this as a method of tracking them, even after-hours.

My recommendation would be to have them plot destination and source addresses and the mileage that they have driven and schedule weekly/monthly random audits using map-quest and some entries.

Wondering if cell companies like Verizon have a "fleet" package of enemas..oops..I mean cell phones..GPS enabled cell phones, that can tie in with MS Maps or MapQuest or something...

Wondering if cell companies like Verizon have a "fleet" package of enemas..oops..I mean cell phones..GPS enabled cell phones, that can tie in with MS Maps or MapQuest or something...

I know Sprint has a service that can track your "kids'" locations, might check into that ;)

Nextel offers this.

I'm sure the have to carry some kinda of information with them for each client they visit as it it; why not just require them to carry a simple GPS logging device as part of their paperwork. Or even simpler, have them carry a PDA with GPS tracking that carries the info they need. Then at the end of the day/week/month, just upload the log into a mapping program and watch for any questionable deviations. A few miles here or there is no big deal, but if you see them going somewhere 30 miles out of their way, call them in and have them explain it.

Back