Does anyone here own an external Fantom Drive G-Force 400GB (Model GF400EU)?

dave247

n00b
EDIT: nevermind. I found someone with the model drive I need.

Thanks [H]

Last edited:
Generally speaking, yes you'll need the EXACT same controller board assuming that's whats wrong with your external hard drive. With that being said, have you tried to take the hard drive out of that enclosure and use a different enclosure and/or plugged the drive directly into your computer?

Sorry, I should have included that info too. Yes, I took the hdd out of the enclosure and connected it directly to my system's motherboard. The platters are spinning but my system does not see the drive, even in Disc Management mmc.

It would help if you could get pics of the controller on the hard drive, will help someone who has the same model be able to identify if the controller is the same or not.

I've noticed that most external drives just won't work when plugged into a mobo. I'm no expert by any means, and you may wish to try Linux to see if the drive can be accessed, but your best bet is to find another drive (and swap the drives).

Obviously, since you've already looked on ebay, you could try something like this item if you get desperate.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've noticed that most external drives just won't work when plugged into a mobo. I'm no expert by any means, and you may wish to try Linux to see if the drive can be accessed, but your best bet is to find another drive (and swap the drives).

It's just a normal sata drive. It will work when connected to a motherboard.

Obviously, since you've already looked on ebay, you could try something like this item if you get desperate.

That wont work. The controller board must be for the exact same model. I found one by the way. It's a WD4000KD hard drive.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah, but the problem I've had in the past when it comes to getting data off of them (proprietary enclosures) is it's usually not just a "normal" partition. If that were the case, you wouldn't need the board -- you'd just be able to grab the data off the disk. I had a WD external that was set up in some kinda special RAID setup with just one drive. That disk was toast anyway, but I spent a lot of time trying to resuscitate it.

Back