Does anyone backup the parity drive?

lsudvm

n00b
Joined
Oct 15, 2010
Messages
60
This might be a stupid question but for things like SnapRaid or unRaid, does anyone back up or clone the parity drive?
 
This might be a stupid question but for things like SnapRaid or unRaid, does anyone back up or clone the parity drive?

No. I do have 2 parity drives however with SnapRAID which supports up to 6 parity disks. I do not recommend only 1 parity drive. Its better to have more parity disks than duplicates of your parity disks when it comes to how many failures and what you can recover. If you want make the parity disks externals. Since you will only need them when doing a sync or scrub or recovering data. For me this is usually 1 or 2 times per week and my parity drives spin down when I am not doing a sync, scrub ...
 
Last edited:
UnRaid user here. I cheat. My Parity drive is in a hardware RAID1. More importantly, I also have everything backed up to another server that I only ever turn on every two weeks for backups...
 
yes, aomei backupper can do this, backup your hard drive or partitions, system etc.
 
Back
Top