Does a cooler processor require less voltage?

skadebo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
1,126
For instance, you have your cpu overclocked to 3ghz on air and temps are 40/60 idle/load with 1.23v. Lets say you now watercool the chip, will this have any effect on vcore? Or is there a specific vcore for a specific overclock, regardless of temperature?
 
I'm not sure I know what you mean, but the lower the temperature the greater the efficiency of the chip itself. It will also be better in preventing electro migration if it can dissipate heat faster.

Basically it means you may be able to run with a bit lower voltage if the temperature is significantly lower.
 
I'm not sure I know what you mean, but the lower the temperature the greater the efficiency of the chip itself. It will also be better in preventing electro migration if it can dissipate heat faster.

I mean that if you are some how able to lower the temperature of your processor for a given overclock, will you then be able to lower your vcore while maintaining stability or will you not be able to do so?
 
You should yes. How much is hard to say, and a significant drop in temperature would be needed before you actually are able to drop it much.

EDIT: Ya what he said.
 
What's the technical reason behind this? Or is this something that's just historically known?

Edit: Nevermind, saw your edit.

Thanks! The reason I was asking was because I know for a fact that my Ninja does not make proper contact with my E6300. It's currently running at 3,045MHz with 1.23 volts to the core. Anything above this starts to require excessive tweaking and sometimes it's not even stable. I was wondering if an Ultima 90 would be better suited to me since it has a built in convex shape to match my E6300's concavity. Right now my temps are 45/43 idle and 60/58 load with a low noise and low airflow setup. With the Ultima-90 I thought I would be able to lower temps and perhaps vcore as well since I'm happy with this level of overclock.
 
I think it should have effects to a certain degree. I don't think you can lower the voltage for a given overclock if you cool the chip better. I mean there should not be any difference between a 50C and and 35C but if you're having excessive heat-up issue because of an improper contact or something you may need to bump voltage a bit for same overclocked speed.
 
I disagree.
I think that the chip requires "X" amount of voltage to run at a given speed. Decreasing temperature will likely improve efficiency/lifespan of the chip, but I see no reason why the chip would miraculously require less voltage to run at the same speed.
It would just be healthier.

Extreme cooling does not give stability to lower vcore, it just allows for higher.
 
Back
Top