Do stuck pixels happen over time or are there usually from day 1?

charlesk11

n00b
I've owned many lcd displays in my life. I'm finding that if the display doesn't have a stuck pixel from day 1, it doesn't usually happen over time (at least for me.)

Is this the general consensus?

I have a Gateway 2185 and am worried that i will end up having this issue.

I got a stuck pixel after about 6 weeks. I don't know if there is a general tendency. I read people who get them and people who have them go away. My Canon Camera of 8 months has developed a few at very slow shutter speeds. It seems hard to avoid any flaw for long where pixels are concerned.

I just replaced my Gateway 2275 because of a sticking green pixel. The situation was really strange in that if first developed about a week after I got the monitor and it only appeared now and then. That is I could go hours using the monitor and it would be alright but at some point the pixel/transistor would flipped to the on position and stay there. Let the monitor sit for a for maybe 30 minutes turned off and it would correct itself. Turn the monitor off at the power pad it it sits on an it corrected itself.

I'm 98% pleased with Gateways response to the problem. The two percent was the usual, "Please reload the drivers and EZ Tune software." When I pointed out that it could be neither due to the the fact that the pixel showed to on even before the video was sinked or with the the DVI cable removed there was no further problem. Gateway sent me a NEW monitor as a replacement. It works fine and is actually better in that while the first had about a 1/4 inch bleed at both top and bottom in the middle 50% of the screen, you really have to look hard to see any on this one. Now I do have to admit that I also installed a Neo-Flex stand on this one so it is now at eye level.

I'm guessing it could happen at any point really, but realistically it would happen during manufacturing or soon after you got it and used it. The liquid crystals are affixed to the walls of it's little chamber and if there are any flaws it will seperate and not be able to flex and move the way it should. So therefore become stuck in whatever position it'd end up.

I've never had any LCD (monitor or any item that has a LCD) just develop dead or stuck pixels. A majority of the time, the dead or stuck pixel will be there from the moment the LCD is boxed up at the factory.

Back