Do most gamers use with wired or wireless mice?

I think wired is the way to go for any game where mouse positioning is important (ie FPS). If you do not play these type of games, it doesn't matter.

Has anyone ever seen a professional player using a wireless mouse during a competition?

Agree

no way in blue hell i would use a wireless mouse for gaming. they are not constantly reliable enough

Use wired myself. Still not quite sold on wireless. It either works perfectly or you have nothing but issues.

If you are lucky, then wireless really is fine. But the same model of mouse can have different ways of communicating wirelessly - ony RF is good enough for gaming -- bluetooth is inherently laggy.

I've got an mx1000, and there's no lag. I played loads of unreal tournament 2004, which is very fast and twitchy. Wired is a safer bet - but don't dismiss wireless out of hand - but you have to do your research first.

I used to game with the mx1000 and it was solid before it failed on me, the only wireless thing that got in my way was a laggy bluetooth keyboard. I'm pretty happy with my current wired logitech g5 except for having 1 thumb button on it.

I have an MX518 and I enjoy it very much.

I don't like wireless keyboard/mice. The potential lag and interference is one thing, but in my case especially it's pointless. My keyboard is stationary and my mouse doesn't really need to float far either. I see no reason to consume batteries.

Logitech made a nice trackball in wireless-only for some bizarre reason, and it annoys me because I would have got on if it was wired. I like trackballs.

After browsing the forums for a long time looking for tips and advice here and there, this post finally made me want to actually reply.

5 or 10 years ago, the "lag" that wireless mice brought to the table was wholly unacceptable, usually basically adding between 8 and 16 ms between the time you click and the time your gun goes off, sometimes a huge gap worse than that.

Cheap wireless mice today still have some lag, usually in the realm of 4 to 16 ms, depending on a variety of minor details.

A lot of the mid-range wireless mice today still use a 120-130 MHz polling rate, which equates to either 4 or 8 ms depending on other factors. Now, sure, if you're in the high end competition, 4 or 8 ms MIGHT make a big difference... but if you're not at that 'high end' of godlike killing machine, the twitch factor is not going to make a huge difference in your gaming. Some, admittedly, but not all that much.

The "high end" mice out today for wireless (most notably off the top of my head the Razer Mamba, Microsoft Sidewinder X8, and the made-by-a-space-monkey Cyborg RAT9) have exceptional DPI (i think some as high as 5600 or so), and a polling rate of 1000 MHz, which in practical use puts your mouse lag down to 1ms. Oddly, that's the exact same response time of high end wired mice. Funny how that works. I might add, also, that a lot of the mid-range and cheap Wired mice can have the same lag issues if they use the wrong internal hardware.

As for interference: having used a Logitech G7, a Logitech MX1000, and (to date) 2 MX Revolutions, I can honestly say that through 8 separate wireless routers that were active, two laptops that consistently are "near" said mice & receivers that have their wireless active, one of which generally has bluetooth going at the same time, and the other had a lovely wireless mobile that was generally active due to business concerns, I had nothing in the way of interference, barring one specific router that I never did figure out why it was causing interference for the revolution.

For the MX Revolutions, my current pair of mice, I generally get between 5 and 9 days of average game play. On the weekends that I have a day to play, I've yet to have the mouse lose charge over the course of an 18 hour gaming spree. The only "breaks" are 2 minutes here and there for drinks & restroom and the occasional slowdown for food (yay pizza). The reason I have two is the first one has that god-awful occasional random double-click when you single click. I use it now for when i'm browsing or in the rare case that i forget to charge the one that works properly.

As far as the MX Revolution goes: It's not the greatest for DPI, I'll never argue that, it's not amazing for precision, but as far as latency goes... there's about as much latency in most LCD monitors as there are in mice. I chose the MX Revolution because 99% of my work is done at a computer, and comfort makes a big difference both when working and when gaming. When I get into CoD4 for the longest time, I would generally be in the top 3 of my side on a regular basis, with a ratio of 1:2 or better. I'll never be competition material, even if you gave me the best wired mouse on the planet... and having used quite a few Logitech wired mice: I lose more shots to jerking the mouse because the wire annoys me than I've ever lost to the miniscule lag involved with non-gaming wireless mice.

Now, keyboards (as far as I'm concerned) are a much different beast. Even in MMORPGs I could easily notice the lag in the use of my keyboard. That's saying something. Admittedly, I type ~80-90 wpm on an average day, so quicker than a lot of people that I know who are happy with their wireless keyboards, but that may just be my opinion, and should not be given a lot of value. I noticed it, i didn't like it, so i went to wired. I had a G15 till it died, and am now using a G110. Love it, I might add, but that's an entirely different conversation.

Overall, however, The choice between wireless mice and a wired mouse is really boiled down to one factor: do you want the wireless with batteries or do you want the wired with the wire getting in your way?

Technology today has made the differences in wireless and wired so negligible (if you get the right mice) that it's not worth saying that wired is "clearly superior."

Now... as far as a LAN party or a competition, YES wired is better: having that many wireless mice in one general area could cause some Major issues. =) That's just common sense though. I still have an old G5 (and about 3 manufacturer issued standard two button one wheel mice, 2 dell mice and an old hp one, that i'll occasionally carry for others) specifically for LAN parties if there are other people using wireless. I'll pack the g5 and my revolution and go, and if someone's using wireless, i'll plug in the g5 and be happy, otherwise i'll pop my revolution in and be happy.

I'm actually in the process of looking for another mouse as it is, as the "good" MX Revolution is exhibiting the same random double-click on a single click issue, albeit only about once a day (as opposed to the once every few minutes i see on the other one), and that's why I ended up here. =)

any known competitive gamer uses a wired mouse.

Wow Verahsa, thanks for the excellent write-up! It must just be my set getting flaky. Sometimes if the headphone wire is between the mouse and receiver, it won't receive the signal at all. the mouse will just stop working until I move the headphone wire. Either that or it'll get very very choppy. Just a bum set I think. I got quite a few good suggestions here though. Thanks everybody...

too much lag with wireless I got both I love wireless but it is not 100% reliable

Nice thread, was just thinking about trying out wireless, i've used the mx518 for at least 4-6 years now (i forget).

Only problem is getting it to work with 1000mhz (hz?) polling in windows 7, it was a bear of a struggle to get it to work at 500. Anyways the difference between 8ms and 2ms is huge enough.

Being so impressed with such a small change in numbers, i doubt i'd ever get used to the lag of a wireless mouse.

However has anyone found a decent way to deal with the issue of "feeling the weight of the mouse cord". Or is this just me?

I prefer wired, I only have a wireless mouse for my TV setup. I have a Logitech MX500 and a bluetooth Microsoft 8000. Back when I had Vista, the MS 8000 would lag, but Win7 seems to have fixed that. However, during high network traffic I notice clipping on the MS 8000, possibly due to interference. I got an usb extension cord and hooked the dongle more out in the open, which helped but didn't eliminate the problem.

I've played games wirelessly largely without issue, over Bluetooth in fact. I'm no competitve player, so uber response times are meaningless. Furthermore, gaming is secondary to the work I do, so my workspace needs to be as clutter-free as possible.

However has anyone found a decent way to deal with the issue of "feeling the weight of the mouse cord". Or is this just me?
Get a mouse with one of those "braided" cords, like the G9.

It's like there's no wire.

Get a mouse with one of those "braided" cords, like the G9.

It's like there's no wire.

I wouldn't say so. I have a G9, and I can definitely "feel" the wire when I game. My desk is also clean all the time, so the wire has a tendency to wrap itself around the monitor stand, speakers, pencils, etc.

But it's still better than wireless IMO.

Make a Z shape with the cord, so it has a lot of room to flex. Like this.

imagebl.jpg

Works beautifully for me. :D

I love my MX3200 wireless set but the wireless lag is getting annoying. I've noticed quite a bit of interference when I have my headphones plugged into my speaker and the (short) wire hangs above the keyboard. I'm not sure if it's the lag from the wireless connection or what but precision in general just seems to be more difficult. Our work PC's have the old standard Dell ball-style mice and they're night-and-day better then my home MX3200 mouse. I could really notice the difference when I tried to play Rings at Ninja Kiwi at home and work. I can manuver much quicker and more precise with the old wired ball mouse. Will I be better off getting a wired mouse at home for gaming? Like an MX518? Would a bluetooth set be any better?

Do most gamers use wired or wireless mice?

I use a wired mouse. The last wireless mouse I used was the Logitech G7. It was a fantastic mouse but the one thing I disliked was that when it died it didn't die fast but slowly died over the course of a month. Any wired mouse have owned just died instantly.

I've tried the bulk of the Logitech and Microsoft wireless mice for gaming and the only one that actually stood up to the test and did as well as wired mice was the Logitech G7. Everything else, and I mean everything else was sub-par compared to wired mice. Ergonomically I prefer the G9 to the G7 and the poor battery life of the G7 are why I quit using it for gaming.

I'm very sensitive to lag and notice it right away with the other mice. The G7 is the only good mouse when it comes to gaming.

I use a Logitech mx518, kind of a budget gaming mouse (wired). It's pretty damn average. I owned a fatality mouse before this one which had an amazing response time, but the stupid thing started double-clicking on single left clicks, had to throw it out.

I use a Logitech mx518, kind of a budget gaming mouse (wired). It's pretty damn average. I owned a fatality mouse before this one which had an amazing response time, but the stupid thing started double-clicking on single left clicks, had to throw it out.

When the Logitech MX518 came out it was anything but a budget mouse. Damn thing was over $60 initially. Of course now they are fairly cheap and there are more expensive mice that have taken its place.

wired, i hate batteries.

My MX5500 Keyboard and mouse i own i have had for 2 years now and i use its 8-12 hours (4 hours of which is gaming, other 8 for work) a day and charge the mouse once a week (takes only an hour) and the batteries in the keyboard have been replace twice in two years.

also i had some issues with the mouse and the free spin on the scroll wheel, and since i have a 3 year warranty, Logitech replace everything with brand new stuff!

also haven't noticed any lag with the mouse or keyboard in any game.

Back