do i need a nas?

Joined
Nov 8, 2010
Messages
697
Hey guys just wondering if i need a nas. Gonna use acronis to back up my 4tb data

I recently reformatted my 4tb causei mismatched drives. Dont want this to happen again

What do you guy suggest in do?
 
I think a NAS is an excellent solution for backing up large amounts of data. Their file serving ability is a nice touch as well, as you're able to access all of your files from any computer on your network. No more looking around through all your devices to find the file you're looking for.
 
NAS's are fantastic devices. with the amount of data i've accumulated over the years, they're a godsend. they have so many pluses.

-you can hide the unit anywhere
-only need to power it up when needed
-with WOL and magic packet app you can power it up (& down) remotely from any pc on network
-can pretty much max out your Gb network with a half decent unit
-most NAS's have some sort of ftp service to access data if away from home if that's a requirement.

there is a lot of different manufactures in the market now so it's easy to get a good one that fits the budget. alternatively you can build your own fairly cheaply.
if you are buying an off the self one, recommend a 5 bay (minimum) box for expandability with three 3TB drives in RAID 5 at minimum for starters. course you'd better off with RAID1 for data security but that'll consume more disks. other's will obviously mention for true data security you'll need 2 backups if the data is of great importance.
 
which brand should i be looking into i will need this for the rest of the year before i move out.
 
Synology and Qnap are generally toted as the best. You could also make one yourself if you felt so inclined.
 
those costs around 100-300? my next paycheck i suppose or when i come back from vacay. pick up some 2tb hdd's. should i go with samsung or WD. looking for less platters also
 
i wouldn't recommend any of the WD or Seagate (green, 5xxx rpm) drives.
the hitachi 5k3000's or samsung f4's are a better choice.
i've got a bunch of hitachi drives in my 2 NAS's (7k1000's 1TB disks in old NAS & 5k3000 2TB disks in newer NAS).
 
Hitachi and Samsung seem to be among the highest in low-rpm performance, and the lowest for drive failure rate. They're also just as damn inexpensive as everything else. No brainer.
 
i wouldn't recommend any of the WD or Seagate (green, 5xxx rpm) drives.
the hitachi 5k3000's or samsung f4's are a better choice.
i've got a bunch of hitachi drives in my 2 NAS's (7k1000's 1TB disks in old NAS & 5k3000 2TB disks in newer NAS).

You may be right about the hitachi and samsungs but I have 4 WD500AAKS drives in my nas for a year now and have had no problems with them. OP, the trick is to keep good airflow over the drives to keep temps down. Also just because I'm anal about it, I also use quality power supplies in my nas...don't go cheap. I have done this with many other drives and they are still alive today even very old MFM/RLL drives (I remember installing the first wing commander on my 10MB drive...yes 10MB drive.) I guess I have been lucky all these years because I have had only 3 drives (2 quantum fireballs and a maxtor) fail me over the past 23 years that I have been messing with computers and I'm 41 now.
 
Last edited:
You may be right about the hitachi and samsungs but I have 4 WD500AAKS drives in my nas for a year now and have had no problems with them. OP, the trick is to keep good airflow over the drives to keep temps down. Also just because I'm anal about it, I also use quality power supplies in my nas...don't go cheap. I have done this with many other drives and they are still alive today even very old MFM/RLL drives (I remember installing the first wing commander on my 10MB drive...yes 10MB drive.) I guess I have been lucky all these years because I have had only 3 drives (2 quantum fireballs and a maxtor) fail me over the past 23 years that I have been messing with computers and I'm 41 now.

About 15 years for me and I have also only had maybe 2 drives die on me in that time. This includes excessive handling and well over 200 drives in that time. I sincerely believe a lot of drive failures have to do with crappy power supplies and/or unclean electricity at the socket. UPS's with AVR's and quality power supplies make for long lasting computer components :)
 
My WD Greens are DOGS in my NAS. Response time is terrible, it really sucks just browsing files. Transferring large files is fast at least.
 
Back
Top