Dlink DIR-625 can't get higher than 130mb/s....slow file transfers

computerpro3

LightningRod
I recently bought a Dlink DIR-625 and while I really do like it, it's not quite performing as well as I thought it would be.

I am using N broadcast only (g and b are totally disabled) and am using WPA2 encryption. I am connecting to my Lenovo Thinkpad t61 with the Intel 4965 N card.

When I am transferring large files, I simply can't get speeds above 6 megabytes per second. Further, my connection continually jumps between 52mb/s, 117mb/s, and 130mb/s even though I have full signal strength and am five feet away from the router.

Firmware is updated and everything. Any idea what's going on? I should be able to get 300mb/s, correct?

The advertised speed is only ever a theoretical maximum, and with wireless almost never achievable due to uncontrollable factors such as outside interference.

I think you're confusing your uh... damnit what's the word...

mbps = megaBITS per second
MBps = megaBYTES per second

big difference.

No, i'm not. Even 130 megabits per second is over double the speed of 6 megabytes per second. My n network is performin worse than a g one should.

I recently bought a Dlink DIR-625 and while I really do like it, it's not quite performing as well as I thought it would be.

I am using N broadcast only (g and b are totally disabled) and am using WPA2 encryption. I am connecting to my Lenovo Thinkpad t61 with the Intel 4965 N card.

When I am transferring large files, I simply can't get speeds above 6 megabytes per second. Further, my connection continually jumps between 52mb/s, 117mb/s, and 130mb/s even though I have full signal strength and am five feet away from the router.

Firmware is updated and everything. Any idea what's going on? I should be able to get 300mb/s, correct?

Nobody's asked yet...but is there a reason you aren't doing this wired if you are so close to the router?

No, i'm not. Even 130 megabits per second is over double the speed of 6 megabytes per second. My n network is performin worse than a g one should.

52/117/130 are all THEORETICAL transfer speeds. Just because your lan line is 100mbs doesn't mean your lan transfers will go at that rate. You'll never, ever, ever, get 130mbps. Sorry.

This is especially true of wireless, and then you have to take into account protocol overheads such as those for your security and what ever protocol you are using to transfer the data which bite into that transfer rate.

I understand that but something is wrong. I was getting better speeds with my built in access point on my ASUS motherboard. The laptop is 5ft from the router for testing purposes only, in answer to why I don't just do wired.

After doing a lot of research, it turns out the the culprit is the POS Intel 4965A/G/N card in my thinkpad. It does not support channel bonding and needs a true 5ghz router in order to get N speeds. It's a "feature" called friendly neighbor assurance. How stupid is it that we can't disable the "feature"...what about people living with no wifi networks nearby?

Back