DIY Network rack

cancersticks

Limp Gawd
Has anyone here built their own network rack, out of wood or metal? I'd love to get my hands on a nice rack :D , but the cost and size of most of the ones I've found, even on eBay, are quite prohibitive.

I'd love to hear about any successes and/or suggestions for going about constructing one.

It really depends on what kind of tools you own or have access to, and how comfortable you are working with them, and what material mediums you have worked with in the past. I did some consulting work for a machine shop where i had to install 6 racks in various places around the building. When I gave them the quote for the racks they laughed and just said we'll make those here give us the specs you need. So I took pictures of a 42U rack, and a couple smaller racks and brought in a 10U rack so they could get exact measurements. I watched the whole process and they made it look easy. They setup a jig for drilling the holes and a jig to weld it together and it took them like an hour to make all 6 racks. I made a cheapo one out of lumber for home use because I am more comfortable with wood, and just used the equipment i would be putting in it for measurements. I found it a fun, easy weekend project.

on a related note, how much do racks usually cost to get one ready made?

It really is dependent on what sort of features you are looking for in the rack and how much weight you expect it to hold. If you are talking about a typical 42U rack with both front and rear mounts, then you can expect to pay at least $100 for one in decent condition. If you're looking for one with solid sides and smoked-glass front and rear doors, along with built-in power distribution, then it will cost you quite a bit more.

I am currently building a custom rack for myself. I was able to get some spare steel tubing from my father's friend. Once I had the tubing I spent a Saturday morning in a machine shop cutting and notching the tubing for the rack. I have a friend that can weld coming over this weekend to weld it all up.
I picked up three 4U rack mount cases to transfer my servers into from PCPartsLeader.com for about $80 a piece. (I just checked and they don't sell or dont have any 4U cases in stock)
I got 27U rails and a 1U cable organizer from Stayonline.com . I also picked up a 16 port Linksys rack mountable switch from Newegg. I can't wait to get it all together and set up.. :D

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Pics of mine can be seen here. Me and OakFan52 made em.

It's made from 1" square steel tubing with a ,065" wall. I got wholesale pricing through work from one of our local suppliers. Guys in our Fab Shop even cut it to length for me. Then we just had to clean the oil off of it, grind the paint back from the ends (heat from the welder melts it and it gets nasty), and weld it together.

We only put front rails on, though two could easily be added on the back. The rails are probably the most expensive part.

If u have any questions, let me know.

sn2op said:
on a related note, how much do racks usually cost to get one ready made?

At work we get wall mount swing racks (front or back or both sides swing open) w/ doors and locks for around $550-$600 for a 36" or around $$300-350 for a 24".

Open racks that swing with no doors, sides, or locks run about $200 for a 24" and $350-$400 for a 36".

Nybbles said:
Pics of mine can be seen here. Me and OakFan52 made em.

It's made from 1" square steel tubing with a ,065" wall. I got wholesale pricing through work from one of our local suppliers. Guys in our Fab Shop even cut it to length for me. Then we just had to clean the oil off of it, grind the paint back from the ends (heat from the welder melts it and it gets nasty), and weld it together.

We only put front rails on, though two could easily be added on the back. The rails are probably the most expensive part.

If u have any questions, let me know.

Those look really nice! And a great size too...exactly what I'd be looking for. Makes me wish I still had access to a good machine shop. Be sure to share pics once it's loaded up!

On a side note, how did your CCNA go?

As much as I would love to replicate something like that, my limited access to equipment has me now looking towards building a wooden rack.
Tink, do you have any pictures of your rack so I could get a better idea for planning and constructing my own?

yeah that ocmojo rack is nice.. i was thinking of having one built to carry my lan servers in.. just weld plates to the 4 corners and put it on casters..

Back