DIY front port shielding

Joined
Nov 26, 2004
Messages
27
I'm having some trouble locating information on how this could be accomplished. My case has front ports and my soundcard has the header for it. They work, however, I can hear buzzing and different sounds as the computer works. I'm guessing these are coming from interference from all the computer's components. Is there a way to add shielding to this wire as it goes through the computer as to avoid picking up extra noise?
 
Hi. We'll need more specific info about your computer: mobo, sound card used, power supply used, etc.
I've had this issue before, and sometimes it has been due to a noisy power outlet, poor power supply, and, strangely, the physical position of the computer case.
I actually tried using shielded cables the first time this problem happened to me, and it didn't solve the issue a bit. You should try the other stuff I mentioned first.
Good luck.
 
It's normal, motherboards don't give lots of space to the audio codec, so the noise you hear is coming from the power itself. You will hear it even if you plug your headphones in the rear connectors.

If not, which I doubt, then it really is interference pickup. To solve this, you'll need to get shielded cable and connect the shield to ground on one side only. To shield the ports you need aluminum. You can tape some aluminum foil on paperboard, or something similar. If your front panel connectors are in a plastic box, you could paint it with copper-based paint and put a wire between the cooper and the wire shield.

But then, power isn't very well filtered on motherboard codecs, as well as internal soundcards(Which picks up RFI and EMI from the computer)

The only real solution is to use an USB, Firewire or partly external sound card.
 
Back
Top