Today I stumbled on this trend of driving displays at more than their rated refresh rates, particularly linked to IPS displays of Korean manufacturers like Yamakasi etc. This kind of surprised me, because I've always lived under the assumption that LCDs can only be driven at specific fixed refresh rates.
Now I have the following questions:
- How does one go about doing this in the first place?
- Can you actually damage the monitor by doing this?
- Does it only work with these Korea-manufactured displays because they don't bother disabling it, or can any LCD technically be driven at more than its rated refresh rate?
- And of course: does it influence the picture quality or performance of the display in any way?
Now I have the following questions:
- How does one go about doing this in the first place?
- Can you actually damage the monitor by doing this?
- Does it only work with these Korea-manufactured displays because they don't bother disabling it, or can any LCD technically be driven at more than its rated refresh rate?
- And of course: does it influence the picture quality or performance of the display in any way?