Disk Imaging via USB?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking for a solution where I can clone a HDD that is connected to my laptop (Win XP Pro) via USB. Then load the image to another USB connected HDD.

This would be very helpful on-site. I am using Windows XP. Also, would be nice where say the original drive that gets cloned is 80GB and the new drive is 120GB... to be able to use that extra 40GB in the same partition. I don't mind paying up to $150 for software, and please don't suggest BartPE.

Thanks!

well i use Norton Ghost 2003 or something in dos from a boot disk and it sees my USB thumb drive. it could possibly work for you.

BartPE and Ghost would work great in this situation. BartPE can be made to run from a USB flash drive.

I think I'm reading this differently than the other guys. My take is that you have a source USB drive. You want to plug that into your machine, while still running windows and pull an image off it. Then you want to pop in another USB drive, and then put your new image on that drive. You want to achieve all of this without booting into another operating system? May for use as some deployment workstation where you can pre-image hard drives for your machines?

I know that there is a 32bit version of ghost. I don't know if it's readily available on the installation media these days, or if you have to contact Symantec (or whoever owns it now) to get it. It should run fine in windows.

Have you tried anything? Most of the imaging software out there has Win32 versions these days. It would be helpful to know what you tried, or if you're just posting here for recommendations.

I think I'm reading this differently than the other guys. My take is that you have a source USB drive. You want to plug that into your machine, while still running windows and pull an image off it. Then you want to pop in another USB drive, and then put your new image on that drive. You want to achieve all of this without booting into another operating system? May for use as some deployment workstation where you can pre-image hard drives for your machines?

I know that there is a 32bit version of ghost. I don't know if it's readily available on the installation media these days, or if you have to contact Symantec (or whoever owns it now) to get it. It should run fine in windows.

Have you tried anything? Most of the imaging software out there has Win32 versions these days. It would be helpful to know what you tried, or if you're just posting here for recommendations.

^^ That is exactly what I want. BartPE requires booting from a CD which I don't want. Plus it sometimes it has issues working properly on some machines from past experiences.

Have not tried any new imaging software as late. I normally use Ghost 2003 but my needs have changed since I'm doing lots of on-site work now.

Thank You

Back