• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Disconnect SATA cable while comp on?

Karandras

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Feb 16, 2001
Messages
1,873
Hey, before I go ahead and break things, I want to test my RAID setup and see what happens when one of the drives in a RAID1 setup gets disconnected. It's tough to do that when the computer off then on, it works no problem that way but I wanna know if it will do anything spectacular while the computer is on.

fireworks and such.

Thanks.
 
Should be fine. If you're using a BIOS fakeraid you may have to restart the machine to begin the rebuild process. I don't know if newer fakeraid products have a Windows tool but on my old system I had to rebuild from the BIOS. SATA is made to be hot-plugged.
 
Yup, SATA is hot-swap,
But I dunno if you'd want to unplug the power from the drive when the system is powered on.
o_O
 
The cables and connectors are physically setup for hot-swap (ground pins extend further than power/signal pins), so, you should be good to go. However, you should not expect the array to come back online if you decide to reconnect the drive.
 
Thanks. Just want to see what happens when RAID fails while in production. Is there anyway to have Linux recognize when a drive dies and notify someone via email or pager (Trixbox)?

Thanks all.
 
Thanks. Just want to see what happens when RAID fails while in production. Is there anyway to have Linux recognize when a drive dies and notify someone via email or pager (Trixbox)?

Thanks all.

mdadm monitoring should do exactly this.
 
Back
Top