"Disaster"?? when changing FX5900NU HSF

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
I was in the process of changing the thermal paste on my BFG FX5900NU. I was using a pair of needle nose pliars, and, a was squeezing one of the clips together, when it slipped, and hit the board. There was no damage that I could see, save a TINY, tiny transistor chip that came off the board.

I plugged it back in, fired it up, ran 3dmark 2001se for one loop, and no problem. Took it back out, removed the HSF unit, cleaned the factory junk, applied AS Ceramique, and put it back together.

Now I flashed it to the BFG 5950 Ultra, and clock speeds are now 475/1000. I put it on a 3dmark2001se loop overnight, and has been running continuously for 10 hours now with no sign of instability or crash.

Do you think this will be a problem for me? I mean, the card performs better now <no artifacting issue in WinDVD>, but I think that is attributed to the BIOS update. Works fine now. What do you think?

If you popped a transistor off that board you'd know it, the card wouldn't work anymore. Seems pretty simple to me, but maybe you're just lucky. If it's run 10 hours of 3DMark loops, you're doing better than most PCs. Have fun with it.

br0adband

I ran 18 hours of 3dmark no problem. Guess everything is fine. :)

Back