disabling routing on a router?.....

BigGreg85

Gawd
ok I have a D-Link Dl-604....and I would like to disable the routing on the router so it just acts as a 4 port switch.

i still need to be able to connect to the internet though. I have another router that has dhcp and assigns ips....ill draw up a diagram if you need it.

Run a crossover cable from your "other" router to one of the 4 "LAN" ports of the D-Link. Don't plug anything into the "WAN" port. Then it acts like a switch.

network setup.jpg

If you turn of DHCP and there is nothing plugged into the WAN port, the device is effectively a switch since there is no incoming internet connection and it's not handing out IPs.

You already own a switch. If you'd like to purchase another, by all means...go right ahead. The switch that you already own is built into the router you already own. Now, if you'd like to listen to the advice everyone has already given you, you can use the switch that you already own. If not, you will be unable to use the switch that you already own.

Originally posted by O[H]-Zone
You already own a switch. If you'd like to purchase another, by all means...go right ahead. The switch that you already own is built into the router you already own. Now, if you'd like to listen to the advice everyone has already given you, you can use the switch that you already own. If not, you will be unable to use the switch that you already own.

ok yes i understand that there is a 4 port switch built in......but what I would like to be able to do is utilize only one DHCP server (that built into my Wireless router)....now reffering to the picture above that i provided....if i disabled DHCP and plugged my wirless bridge into 1 of the 4 ports of the switch will i still be able to access the internet?

thank you

Greg

ok thank you for the help everyone....I hope to try this soon when i get home and I will let you know how it goes and will ask if I have any questions.

Back