Disabling On-Board Sound

  • Thread starter Deleted member 79192
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 79192

Guest
Can it be done? I am upgrading to a Mothebroard with an integrated sound chip. After hearing the integrated sound on my brother's mobo, I have a feeling my Sound Card (SB 16) will perform much better.
 
Sure.
Did it ever occur to you that maybe you should read the manual to figure out how?
 
Originally posted by X86Dude
Sure.
Did it ever occur to you that maybe you should read the manual to figure out how?

LOL...

Just cause I'm a nice guy, go into BIOS...
 
Umm, kinda hard to read a manual ya don't own yet. Sorry, I'm new to sound stuff. Just finished learning about CPUs. Before, I didn't know the difference between socket 370 and 468. Never even knew AMD existed. lol
 
Depends. If you've got a decent Realtek chip, or better yet, C-Media... it may be better than your SB16.... my advice: Try it before you disable it... hey, it's "free".
 
Good point. The thing is my brother's built-in sound chip has a REALLY screwed up midi thing. You should hear runescape (the new one). lol. So, if its better, keep it, makes sense.
 
Ok, according to TigerDirect.ca, it is an AC '97 CODEC. Sound like it might be any good?
 
Just about everything these days is an AC'97 CODEC. The question is what one.

Anyway, the easiest way to check which sounds better is to install both of them, and switch back and forth a few times until you can tell which is better.
 
Got it. And if it sucks, I'll get meself a nice Sound Blaster 5.1, it'll take a load off the CPU anyway. :)
 
Depending on how much you wanna spend, Hercules and Philips have some nice cards for $30-50 or so. I just like them alot more anyway.
 
Back
Top