disabling network level authentication for RDP a bad idea?

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
I run a number of Windows Server 2008 R2 machines which are accessible from just about anywhere via RDP, however, they all have NLA enabled.

The problem this creates is that I came across the Pocketcloud tool by WYSE which allows me to access my servers via RDP from anywhere using my Android phone except that it won't work with NLA enabled on the server side.

I understand what NLA does, but I don't have any practical feel for how much of an issue it would be to disable it on machines which reside in public IP space. How big of a threat are (D)DOS attacks on RDP ports really?

I guess one way to find out would just be to disable NLA and monitor the machine closely to see what happens but I'd rather avoid this type of trial-and-error if I can. I know I can throttle SSH connection attempts to a Linux box, is there a way to simply not allow more than one RDP login attempt per minute (or so) on the Windows side?

I wouldn't disable it. I get a lot of random attacks on RDP port from crazy places. They are a lot more common than you would think.

Anyways if you do disable it change the port number RDP uses this will help out some.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber

Back