direct x9 to direct x10 problem

so i have a 500gb hard drive. and i split the partitions into 2 224gb partitions. and installed xp pro onto 1 and vista ultimate onto the other. now i installed vista so i could play all the direct x10 games. but i didnt think it would do what it did. after both os's were installed and updated. i went into vista installed direct x10 and crysis. but never played because i decided i wanted to play wow. so i got back onto xp and went to load it up and i encounter a black screen. but sound still. so i cant figure out whats going on. and my friends like didnt u just install direct x10 maybe thats it. so i took my card out and put it back in and it worked fine.

so if i install direct x10 onto 1 partition and have direct x9 on the other why does my card not work for the direct x9. my card is a

BFG 8800gts 640mb edition.

this probably has nothing to do with Direct X , just something on your XP partition, i would try different video card drivers and update service packs to see if it starts to work

If it was a problem related to DirectX, removing the card and replacing it wouldn't have anything to do with it. My guess is, the card was working its way loose, if the reseat worked.

As for the OS in general, I despise dual boot systems, but that part is obviously up to you. At this point, however, you shouldn't have any trouble running your games in Vista. Dual boots aren't really needed that much anymore.

Back