Difficulty deleting files in XP

IMGoph

n00b
I'm a newbie, so please let me know if I'm not following protocol around here!

I downloaded some new screensavers for WinXP, and I'm having a terrible time trying to delete them. I've gone into safe mode and removed the files (they were located in c:\windows\resources\themes\), but when I restarted the machine, the files came back. Just trying to delete them regularly gives me an error (files being used by another process). I downloaded a program that lets you know what processes are using a certain file, and it appears that these files are being used by winlogon.exe.

Does anyone know how I can clear these files from my HDD? I appreciate all your help!

Something that helps me a lot when I get rid of spyware at work is shutting off System Restore before I delete things. Keeps a lot of files from coming right back on next restart.

screen savers are like the number one way that viruses / trojans / spyware / adware get on peoples computers, mainly because of the fact that alot of noobies think "oh, cool neato screen savers, i will download and run them"

depending on how badly you infected your pc a reformat may be the only way out.

for the future i recomend just using the default windows xp screen saver.

before you format, try the normal things,

adaware free edition
spy bot search and destroy
avg anti virus free edition
and hijack this

Shut off system restore and delete the files using a command prompt (start->run->cmd->"cd" to the directory and "del /F" the files.

Back