Different Flavor of Windows 7 - Your Experience

Pagan_Ranger

Limp Gawd
Basically, I am looking see anyone's actual experience with the different versions of Windows 7, on the same machine.

I played around with Win7 Home Premium 64 bit on a Dell Studio Hybrid. I'm going to wipe it and install Win7 Ultimate 64 bit and see if I notice any differences or overhead within the OS itself.

What would be a good benchmark to run for this?

So far, it has been pretty responsive and overall, I am pleased. It takes some getting used to, as I skipped vista all together and have been on XP for who knows how long.

I'll post my experiences once I have a chance to to fully evaluate.

Basically, it will be a waste of your time. The different versions aren't supposed to, and shouldn't have any performance differences between them. The differences are included programs and features, and have nothing to do with performance. It was the same deal as Vista and all the different versions there. Pick the version that meets your required feature set, and enjoy the computer.

Various flavors of Vista performed the same more or less (no appreciable difference) on my desktop (in sig) -- Home Premium and Ultimate, 64bit both.

Various flavors of Windows 7 have performed effectively the same on my laptop (Ultimate 32bit and 64bit, Home Premium 64bit). It's not worth investigating, they're too similar to matter save possibly on bare, bare minimum configurations.

Thank you for the replies and saving me alot of time!

I'm still going to go with Vista Ultimate in order to have the ability to back up to network, sometime in the future.

Doesn't Professional do this as well? I thought the general feeling is that there's only a few small situations where Ultimate is jusified over Pro.

Ultimate is a waste of money, heck unless you need certain back up and hosting or remote features, Home Premium is fine. I'm able to share my internet from Home Premium. I wanna play with RDT so I'm sticking with Professional for now. I installed Ultimate on all my machines, because I can before that comes up.

I was actually surprised what I could do under Home Premium when I enabled it on my friends netbook from Starter. I'm kind of developing a thing for Starter N, multicore, but only one physical CPU support, but literally nothing running in the background (would install Firefox and MPC), I love that idea, but haven't taken that action yet on one of my test machines (too bad no 64bit).

Pro, ultimate, doesn't really matter at this point. I am testing this out on a system that will eventually be my wife's bedroom computer (SFF; Dell Studio Hybrid). Using my new technet license to test the version (except Home Premium, as I already purchased the Family Pack Upgrade). Once I determine my needs, I'll get a permanet license for that system.

Ultimate is a waste of money, heck unless you need certain back up and hosting or remote features, Home Premium is fine. I'm able to share my internet from Home Premium. I wanna play with RDT so I'm sticking with Professional for now. I installed Ultimate on all my machines, because I can before that comes up.

I was actually surprised what I could do under Home Premium when I enabled it on my friends netbook from Starter. I'm kind of developing a thing for Starter N, multicore, but only one physical CPU support, but literally nothing running in the background (would install Firefox and MPC), I love that idea, but haven't taken that action yet on one of my test machines (too bad no 64bit).
Lots of RDP alternatives.
Microsoft Mesh
LogMeIn
GotoMyPC
TeamViewer
etc.

None of which require opening firewall ports like RDP.

For most people I would agree but there are a couple of things that are VERY useful. BitLocker and AppLocker are very useful. AppLocker really needs to be in EVERY version of Windows, it makes it brain dead simple to lock down a Windows machine and that's just very useful in certain environments.

Back