Difference between size & size on disk?

MaXimus

[H]ard|Gawd
When I right click a folder in Windows I get Size & Size On Disk

What is the difference between both properties? Sometimes they are not the same. One might be more than teh other.

Size is the actual size of the file. Size on disk is the amount of disk space used by the file. There will always be some overhead when storing files on disk due to cluster size. Disk space is allocated in clusters. Suppose you have 8Kbyte clusters. A 589 byte file will have a filesize of 589 bytes, but will use 8Kbytes of disk space, since that cluster is used by that file and cannot be used for anything else.

ah thanks for teh clarification.

So what matters at teh end of teh day is teh size on teh disk eh? since that's the end result of diskspace used.

MaXimus666 said:
So what matters at teh end of teh day is teh size on teh disk eh? since that's the end result of diskspace used.

Teh truth has been written in teh post above me. You're correct, in general.

MaXimus666 said:
ah thanks for teh clarification.

It depends on what is important at the end of the day. If disk space matters, then yes, disk usage will be your main concern. If you're transmitting the files over a network or something, then disk usage will be of no concern whatsoever; all that matters is the size of the file itself.

Back