difference between h20 and nitrogen cooling

pcmaniac

n00b
I just want to ask what is the difference between water cooling and nitrogen cooling,
by using nitrigen cooling how much can you increase your processor speed when compared with water cooling,
could u tell me which is overall better and cheaper and how the process is

pcmaniac said:
I just want to ask what is the difference between water cooling and nitrogen cooling,
by using nitrogen cooling how much can you increase your processor speed when compared with water cooling,
could u tell me which is overall better and cheaper and how the process is
nitrogen cooling is only for flash oc IF it were feasable for you could go over 5ghz with an intel easily. it is the most extreme of all methods of cooling and almost certainly not feasable outside a lab style environment. you could however phase change cool your cpu in a normal environment and cool your cpu to between -30 and -50c. watercooling is not alot better than air cooling for overclocking and is not even anywhere close to liquid nitrogen or phase change cooling for overclocking ;)

I remember turning semiconductors into superconductors with liquid nitrogen in one of my engineering classes. I wonder how well modern CPU's cope with those temperatures.

The semiconductors we used floated in a magnetic field when they were frozen. :D

RickyJ said:
I remember turning semiconductors into superconductors with liquid nitrogen in one of my engineering classes. I wonder how well modern CPU's cope with those temperatures.

The semiconductors we used floated in a magnetic field when they were frozen. :D

What kind of semiconductor? Most semiconductors turn to insulators when they get too cold.

RickyJ said:

That sounds like the cover of 100 different 8th grade science text books.. funny part is.. no where in the book they talk about semiconductors

zer0signal667 said:
What kind of semiconductor? Most semiconductors turn to insulators when they get too cold.

I can't remember, since it was a few years ago now. I could be wrong about the superconductor thing, but I'm sure that's what the lab was trying to do. It was fun spinning the floating block though! :D

H2O, very common, if you screw up you could short out some equipment...

Liquid Nitrogen, very inpractical, if you screw up you could lose finger...

cheaper yes, better well you will get higher overclocks with Nitrogen but its MUCH harder to maintain then h2o. nitrogen cooling is just not practical.

zer0signal667 said:

Thanks for handling that, my head was starting to hurt.

RickyJ said:
I can't remember, since it was a few years ago now. I could be wrong about the superconductor thing, but I'm sure that's what the lab was trying to do. It was fun spinning the floating block though! :D
The materials used in that experiment aren't superconductors at room temperature, but they are at LN2 temps. What happens when a material begins to superconduct is the electrons cease to travel through the core of the metal (or ceramic) and instead shift to the surface. This means the magnetic field is also developed exactly on the surface. Only in this kind of magnetic field can you make a magnet float on another without the two collapsing.

Back