Diference between cat 6 and 5?

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/cat5cables/l/bldef_cat6.htm
There might be more technical things that are defined in the EIA/TIA definitions, but I could'nt find the specs with a quick google search. (like impedence values, what wires are in a standard CAT6 cable... etc)

Anyway, that article is a little off. Now'a'days, the price diffrence between the CAT5e and CAT6 is almost nothing.

Now you can get something like 100 feet of CAT6 cable for ~15$us (7ft CAT6 for 2.49$us) . This is normal cable, with the connectors attached and everything, in fancy colors, with snag-proof caps. (sure beats the local computer store at 25$ for 7feet CAT6)

http://www.newegg.com/OldVersion/ap...=list&catalog=132&DEPA=5&order=price&sort=asc

Sorry if this was'nt anything more then the obvious.

cat6 'feels' heavier duty than any cat5e I've used... the wires inside seem to be of a higher guage, and don't bend as easily. I have alot harder time putting ends on cat6 then cat5e, because of that fact. It's 'supposed' to be more future-proof, although I've seen old cat5(not even 5e) do gigabit.

QJ

QwertyJuan said:
cat6 'feels' heavier duty than any cat5e I've used... the wires inside seem to be of a higher guage, and don't bend as easily. I have alot harder time putting ends on cat6 then cat5e, because of that fact. It's 'supposed' to be more future-proof, although I've seen old cat5(not even 5e) do gigabit.

QJ

yes, takes a little work to cram sheilded cat6 all the way into the tip. and ive seen cat5e run gigabit ~430ft. it took mega errors and died when it rained and didnt come back up till the ground dried. but it doesnt rain much in iraq
:D

deadm3at said:
yes, takes a little work to cram sheilded cat6 all the way into the tip. and ive seen cat5e run gigabit ~430ft. it took mega errors and died when it rained and didnt come back up till the ground dried. but it doesnt rain much in iraq
:D

LOL, the cat5 that I seen run gigabit was about 5 feet long.... :D

QJ

I have Cat5e running over right over lights, and over 100ft that run Gbit without errors. Unless cat6 is the same price, I don't see much need to go for it. Sure it can run faster in theory, but it still can't reach the next speed, 10gig. That is why the Cat7 standard is being developed.

Cat5, 4 pairs of 24AWG wire, twisted not as much, and sometimes not evenly twisted
Cat5e, 4 pairs of 24AWG wire, twisted a little more than Cat5, and more evenly twisted than Cat5

Cat6, 4 pairs of 23AWG wire, twisted quite a bit compared to Cat5e, and the twists are very even.

Basically, Cat6 is a thicker cable with a better copper core than the Cat5 stuff. The construction of it is also the most uniform of the three. The wire diameter is really even, compared to Cat 5e. The eveness and the larger number of twists compared to Cat5 and Cat5e is what gives Cat6 cable it's rating. This is also why when making Cat6 jacks and plugs that you untwist the individual pairs as little as possible. Also minimum bend radius for Cat6 cable is 4 inches. This is where you can have a fun time explaining to the former drill seargent customer who insists on having cables with ultra neat 90 degree turns at every corner is bad for the cable. If you want to test this, start a large file transfer, and then take your relatively long (>10ft) ethernet cable and make a tight pinch. The file transfer will slow down and eventually stop. Reverse this by smoothing out that pinch as much as possible. Don't do it too much or you might snap the little wires inside.

For short runs, Cat5, Cat5e or Cat6, it doesn't really matter for speeds as much. However for whole building wire runs, cost for 1000ft of Cat5 vs. Cat5e vs. Cat6 Cable is about $40, $60, and $140 per 1000ft. The standard today is Cat5e. Cat5 cable isn't as easy to purchase anymore and Cat6 still commands a price premium. Cat5e cables run and crimped to spec will run gigE just fine. For 10 gigE, I'm betting we may see a serious maximum length reduction, or a switch to fiber. It's really about time that we just switch to fiber for data cables. If only the tools to work with fiber would get cheaper, I suspect this would happen because fiber is relatively cheap to manufacture.

Back