Did I buy the wrong XEON processor?

franke3c

Limp Gawd
Hi, thanks for reading this. hope someone can help me here. I am new to SMP.

spec:
Intel Server Board SE7501HG2
Intel Xeon Processor 2.66 (533Mhz) 604-pin (only 1)
Corsair TwinX Registered PC3200 512mb (pair)

I can't get the system to boot. I only get 3 beeps and thats all. On the box of the intel processor it says "Supports Dual-processing ONLY". Not to sure, but I thought that a single processor should work. Or is there a xeon processor that will do single processor ?

You can run one Xeon in a Dual board, you just have to make sure you put the single Xeon in socket 1 or 0. (1 if sockets are 1&2, 0 if sockets are 0&1). Also, The memory is Reg ecc right? If not it won't boot.

Make sure you have a EPS PSU with the extra 8pin power adapter, if thats not hooked up, it won't boot either.

Let me know if you have those things right.

There are 2 classes of P4-based Xeon's
Dual Processor and
Multi Processor.

Your chip will work fine by itself and with 1 other, but it will not work if more than 2 are installed (in a quad socket board)

For that you need the computing goldmines known as Xeon MP's

3 beeps during POST on an Intel (and many other MBs) means a memory error.

Bad memory, wrong number of sticks or wrong type of memory are common problems.

Thanks for the help.

I have attached the power cables 24 pin and 8 pin.
There is an "AUX PWR" connector I have not attached but dont have a connector for it.

I have the Xeon in Socket 1 (there is socket 1 and socket 2)

THe memory slots are : 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3C
I have tried the pairs in 1, 2 and 3 . DOesn't seem to change at all.

p4.jpg

post exactly what ram you bought. If you have a link to the website where you bought it, it would help.

Did you install the CPU is CPU 0 or CPU 1 spot? Check your manual....I am pretty sure it needs to be in the CPU 0 slot only if you are running just one Xeon.

Back