Dialup/Ethernet Simultaneously Connected?

Toilet Duck

Limp Gawd
At the moment, I'm using the college's ethernet connection. It's pretty lenient; every game I have seems to work, download speeds are fine, and I'm generally happy with it. However, it does appear that Bittorrent/Bittornado have been stopped, somehow (or rather, they are the only thing I can't get to work).

I also have a 56k modem/connection available. Lately, I've been disconnecting the LAN, dialing up, and downloading/torrenting slowly but surely overnight. I tried activating both connections at once, which works.. but without the desired results. It seems like the 56k connection overrides everything.. the LAN just stops getting used, period.The second I disconnect the 56k, the LAN gets all traffic again.

At any rate, my question is this: Is it possible to have both connections simultaneously running, with the 56k being delegated/restricted to Bittorrent related traffic and the college ethernet handling everything else, or some similar setup?

The only other semi-relevant thing I can think of is that I'm using XP Professional, SP2 with all updates... thanks in advance for any advice.

Windows TCP/IP stack looks to your routing table to see which connection to use to communicate with a target host. Most traffic destinations fall under the category of 0.0.0.0, or the "default" route. When you initiate a dial-up connection, this usually overrides the default router interface with that of the dial-up interface.

Now, ideally you could create static entries in the routing table for certain hosts, but that won't work with bittorrent because the hosts you are downloading from are not predetermined and are constanly changing.

With a lot of effort and a creative rules, you could make a linux router box that redirects traffic on a per-port basis rather than per-host, with separate dial-up and ethernet interfaces. But the simplest solution is just to use a second machine for dial-up, while using your primary for all other purposes.

Back