• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Diagnostic tool for Maxtor drives

pduan87

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 31, 2001
Messages
1,923
Been having problems installing windows so I want to see if my HDs are the problem. I need a third party diagnostic tool because the one that Maxtor provides does not support RAID or the NF4 chipset. Does anyone know of a good one?
 
FYI,

I am not sure what your system specs are but I had an issue with a maxtor drive before. There was incompatibility with the MSI K8N NEO4 Platnium and the maxtor drives with 300 GB 16 mb cache (diamondmax 3 i think). I put a WD 250 GB SATA drive in it and it worked great.

I was getting all sorts of failed installs and BSOD's. The 300 GB drive is now on my ASUS board and working great.
 
cooter said:
FYI,

I am not sure what your system specs are but I had an issue with a maxtor drive before. There was incompatibility with the MSI K8N NEO4 Platnium and the maxtor drives with 300 GB 16 mb cache (diamondmax 3 i think). I put a WD 250 GB SATA drive in it and it worked great.

I was getting all sorts of failed installs and BSOD's. The 300 GB drive is now on my ASUS board and working great.
This issue was addressed by a firmware update from Maxtor. However, you have to beg and plead with higher level support from Maxtor to get them to admit to the existence of it.
 
DougLite said:
This issue was addressed by a firmware update from Maxtor. However, you have to beg and plead with higher level support from Maxtor to get them to admit to the existence of it.

I did get that firmware update and updated the bios and still had the problem. that was about 2 months ago so they may have gotten something newer.
 
Is the firmware update included in the hard drives or do I have to manually update? Got the 160gig Diamondmax 10.
 
It should ship on newer drives. IIRC, that was a problem back in the first quarter of this year.
 
Back
Top