Diablo 3 not supported in Catalyst 12.4?

Superhuman

[H]ard|Gawd
Just saw these posts by Blizzard on the official D3 forums:

I've been notified that the current Catalyst 12.4 release drivers aren't going to be supported for use in Diablo III. Either revert to an earlier release or maybe the 12.5 release

As of right now, tonight, the word I have is 12.4 will not be supported on release. That could change between now and then though.

Catalyst 12.4 drivers aren't supported. You'll need to revert to an earlier version.

12.2 can be found here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

I did a little checking after I last posted and apparently, the 12.4 release is having enough issues right now that we're going to post that warning you saw if they're detected in use. The best solution, again for now, is to revert to a slightly older release. This is subject to change at any time, but for now, it looks like it's going to continue on into release.

Are you fucking kidding me, AMD? This is easily the biggest release of 2012 so far and the most current drivers are gonna have problems launching the game, let alone actually running it? Unbelievable.

Ugh. I guess my question is... which version of Catalyst should I install since I'm going to be doing a fresh install of Windows 7 on my new SSD? 12.2? 12.3?

Thank god I switched to nVidia. I'm will to pay more for an nVidia card if my drivers don't have issues.

ugh. ATI just sucks so bad. I am still on 12.3. Hope that works, or else I will be mad as hell.

In their only defense, the D3 beta ran just fine on the drivers and I noticed no 'issues', so even if it isn't supported at first, it works. YMMV of course

I tested the Diablo 3 beta on both my work computer with a radeon 6850 as well as a llano A8-3870 using the 12.4 drivers and it seemed to work ok for me. I did notice it seemed to stutter more than my gtx680, even at lower settings, maybe that's what they're trying to sort out...

I tested the Diablo 3 beta on both my work computer with a radeon 6850 as well as a llano A8-3870 using the 12.4 drivers and it seemed to work ok for me. I did notice it seemed to stutter more than my gtx680, even at lower settings, maybe that's what they're trying to sort out...

yeah maybe. The beta did seem to run fine for me as well, but I am on 12.3 with a 6950...

Any specific reason why D3 isn't supported? One thing that always surprises me is now drivers fail to work with a game when there is a set API that both the game is supposed to use and the drivers are supposed to support. Kind of wondering if this is AMD's problem (most likely?) or if Blizzard is the problem (if nV cards show problems too).

Any specific reason why D3 isn't supported? One thing that always surprises me is now drivers fail to work with a game when there is a set API that both the game is supposed to use and the drivers are supposed to support. Kind of wondering if this is AMD's problem (most likely?) or if Blizzard is the problem (if nV cards show problems too).

Can't speak for final release, but the beta ran smooth as silk on my 680

I think this problem is exclusive to only the 12.4 release.

It's just retarded that I'm gonna have to install old drivers on my fresh install of Windows.

At the very least, if you have owned a recent AMD video card you know that their drivers are subpar. I bought a 6950 when is first came out and it took MONTHS to get decent, stable drivers released. Dont forget the cursor issue. Now with D3, not being supported with 12.4, isn't a disaster but just another example of AMD fumbling driver releases.

I'm on 11.10 right now and they work fine with everything I've played up to today (including D3 beta), but like I said in my OP, I just got a new SSD and will be doing a fresh install of Windows 7 on it before Diablo 3 launches and it's just fucking retarded that I have to play guessing games as to which old version of AMD drivers I should install. 12.1? 12.2? 12.3? Who knows... it's a crap shoot I guess.

Not really sure what they mean by not supported, the game uses the DX9 API so the drivers will work just fine. The only thing I can think of is that they may not be optimized for D3 or maybe there's no crossfire profile yet in 12.4, but I seriously, SERIOUSLY, doubt that D3 just won't even run with the 12.4 drivers. I'm sure something was taken out of context or misunderstood.

Not really sure what they mean by not supported, the game uses the DX9 API so the drivers will work just fine. The only thing I can think of is that they may not be optimized for D3 or maybe there's no crossfire profile yet in 12.4, but I seriously, SERIOUSLY, doubt that D3 just won't even run with the 12.4 drivers. I'm sure something was taken out of context or misunderstood.

There is nothing taken out of context or misunderstood. You can't get past the launcher with 12.4 installed. You get an error message and the game won't launch.

The Blizzard tech support guy said the same thing happens with the release version of the game as of right now and he himself recommends using an older version of Catalyst to get the game to launch.

There is nothing taken out of context or misunderstood. You can't get past the launcher with 12.4 installed. You get an error message and the game won't launch.

OK, so we're talking about an actual error. Not the launcher just detecting 12.4 and exiting (which Blizzard plans to implement), right?

kay everyone CALM DOWN LOL, Im running 3 7970s in Trifire and everything worked Maxxed out, No slowdowns or stutters or screen tearing. Move Along there is nothing to see here. Would also note that i think a PC made 3 or 4 years ago will have no problem running this game. I just wanna play Guild Wars 2 the Beta was awesome.

All I'm gonna say is there damn well better not be an error when I install this game on 5/15 because my driver version == 12.4. Absolutely unacceptable.

kay everyone CALM DOWN LOL, Im running 3 7970s in Trifire and everything worked Maxxed out, No slowdowns or stutters or screen tearing. Move Along there is nothing to see here. Would also note that i think a PC made 3 or 4 years ago will have no problem running this game. I just wanna play Guild Wars 2 the Beta was awesome.

Did you even bother reading any of the posts?

No one is questioning if the game can run with good performance.

The problem is that the game isn't launching with 12.4 installed. Is it an AMD problem? Is it a Blizzard problem? No one knows right now, but it's bullshit either way. I don't want to launch the game on May 15 and be greeted with a "This video card is not supported" error.

And yet people say all the hate about AMD/ATI's drivers is unfounded. Christ, they have sucked since the mid 90's and will never stop sucking.

Game ran fine for me and launched fine with 12.4 during the last open beta. Now lets all get into a hissy fit over a game yet unreleased, nvidia users trolling the ATI forum unite. :rolleyes: As far as I can tell (I could be wrong) the installer scans your system and checks for your card and graphics driver - the 12.4 driver has not been added to that database yet, from what i'm reading. That doesn't mean the game doesn't run - the game runs fine. For me anyway.

Others on OCN noted performance perofrmnace increases in D3 with 12.4 even with SSAA enabled. Anyway, carry on with the ridiculous fuck you ATI I have a 680 etc posts.

Last edited:
Game ran fine for me and launched fine with 12.4 during the last open beta. Now lets all get into a hissy fit over a game yet unreleased, nvidiots trolling the ATI forum unite. :rolleyes: Need some more meme I have a GTX 680 and want to troll posts. As far as I can tell (I could be wrong) the installer scans your system and checks for your card and graphics driver - the 12.4 driver has not been added to that database yet, from what i'm reading. That doesn't mean the game doesn't run - the game runs fine. For me anyway.

Others on OCN noted performance perofrmnace increases in D3 with 12.4 even with SSAA enabled. Anyway, carry on with the ridiculous fuck you ATI I have a 680 etc posts.

Exactly.

It used to do this with the GTX 480 on certain drivers too. Are nvidia's drivers awful death satan as well because of this?

It detects card + driver version and throws an error. You can supposedly hit escape or spacebar or something to get by it.

Game ran fine for me and launched fine with 12.4 during the last open beta. Now lets all get into a hissy fit over a game yet unreleased, nvidiots trolling the ATI forum unite. :rolleyes: Need some more meme I have a GTX 680 and want to troll posts. As far as I can tell (I could be wrong) the installer scans your system and checks for your card and graphics driver - the 12.4 driver has not been added to that database yet, from what i'm reading. That doesn't mean the game doesn't run - the game runs fine. For me anyway.

Whoa.. what crawled out of your ass? I got tired of blue screens and instability with my AMD cards. This is not coming from any sort of "nvidiot" perspective, but rather my experience with AMD/ATI cards... but okay live in your bubble...

No one is throwing a "hissy fit." For all we know, new AMD graphics drivers will be out by the time Diablo 3 is released.

Whoa.. what crawled out of your ass? I got tired of blue screens and instability with my AMD cards. This is not coming from any sort of "nvidiot" perspective, but rather my experience with AMD/ATI cards... but okay live in your bubble...

No one is throwing a "hissy fit." For all we know, new AMD graphics drivers will be out by the time Diablo 3 is released.

The game will run fine as several posters here who ran it during the open beta attested. 12.4 was not added to the installer database which has a program which scans for your GPU driver - this also happens if you have an nvidia beta driver as well. You just hit escape and run the game.

Perhaps the bigger issue is the AMD cpu, who buys phenom / BD over sandy bridge? I kid, I kid.

While I'm not sure whether I care to buy the game or not, the beta ran fine on CFX 6950 2GB cards at 12.3. I'm on 12.4 now, so I wonder, but I doubt this will be an issue.

Also, both AMD and Nvidia have had recent driver issues. Keep complaining about it, but I played BF3 and Skyrim from release (and the BF3 beta) with my cards. The only show-stopping error was some stupid shit Bethesda did with Skyrim which caused the game to crash-to-desktop without an error every 3-5 minutes for a while, but that's not AMD; there hasn't been anything that I couldn't work around with AMDs drivers.

Beta ran fine for me but then again, I have 7970s in xfire running D3 at 1920x1200. Overkill anyone?

GPU workload was around 50%.

I have had the 12.4's installed for a while. I know I played diablo 3 beta a few times without the error coming up. The game ran fine on my 7970.

I have had the 12.4's installed for a while. I know I played diablo 3 beta a few times without the error coming up. The game ran fine on my 7970.

Yeah, this Blizzard announcement is a head scratcher. I also loaded the Diablo 3 beta over this past weekend with Catalyst 12.4 installed with a 7970 and it ran fine. Now I just tried it after hearing this news and though the beta ended yesterday, the "Play" button is still selectable but hitting it throws up the error message that the 7900 series isn't support. I'm baffled what has happened that caused Blizzard to withdraw support for the 7900 series with the 12.4 drivers. It didn't look like there were any obvious problems visually and the performance was fine even with max settings running at 2560x1600 resolution. Maybe there was something screwy going on with the 12.4 drivers behind the scenes but it wasn't anything I noticed? Puzzling....

Update - this was just added to the Blizzard forum thread about 12.4 support. Someone posted to say he had played the beta with 12.4 installed and that the compatibility warning could be bypassed by hitting ESC. Blizzard support responded:

You won't be able to ignore the warning by hitting the escape key if you have release 12.4 installed. They will not work with the game. This didn't go into effect in the beta until shortly before it ended so you may have been playing it before we implemented the change.

Probably has to do with the beta already being installed then. I got the word straight from our QA department this morning. Anyone with 12.4 will have to revert to earlier drivers. If newer ones come before we release the game, they may work but that's not known yet. They did emphasize 12.4 will NOT work.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4768329726

Still no description of what exactly the Blizzard Q&A discovered about the 12.4 drivers.

Last edited:
Sounds like a random drone at blizzard. The game had no display disparities with 12.4CCC....i'm fairly certain it will be fine. If they disabled the game from launching when the driver works just fine (and I played for hours on end) they're fucking stupid.

Beta ran fine on 12.4 for me.

It sounds like there might have been a change in the code between the beta and retail? At a minimum I would think they're going to switch a few compiler flags to take out that pesky debug information and maybe throw in an -O2 or -O3 flag ;). Maybe another under the hood change related to optimizing graphics throughput?

If they (AMD) don't fix this before launch I'm going to lose a lot of respect for them. Like Superhuman said, this is the release of the year. I'm going to pre-download the 12.3 drivers just in case but I hope that a CAP will come out before the 15th to fix this.

You have a 6950 op...
Why do you need the 12.4 drivers?
Its not like the game will be unplayable hell the game works flawlessly with the 12.3s...
So I dont get the gripe...
I mean fuck the game will look the same with 12.1,12.2,12.3,12.5,12.6, etc etc.

For 7x00 series users I can understand frustration though. Still I ran the beta with 12.3 and 12.4s without a single issue.
I did think at one point that the game was glitching but thats because I ran the beta as soon as it hit the "playable" area in the DL which can cause issues since all the game content is not loaded in yet.

You should wait to bitch about this until after you can confirm you are having issues.
Not before when its just some random speculation that alot of users have spoken out against by talking about running D3 with 12.4s....
Dont jump the gun ya kno?

Just saw these posts by Blizzard on the official D3 forums:

Are you fucking kidding me, AMD? This is easily the biggest release of 2012 so far and the most current drivers are gonna have problems launching the game, let alone actually running it? Unbelievable.

Ugh. I guess my question is... which version of Catalyst should I install since I'm going to be doing a fresh install of Windows 7 on my new SSD? 12.2? 12.3?

D3 is not even close to being the biggest release of 2012.

ugh. ATI just sucks so bad. I am still on 12.3. Hope that works, or else I will be mad as hell.

It is really sad that not only has Kyle called them out on drivers in at least two HardOCP reviews, but now Blizzard has to call them out in their own game? Wow.

I think this problem is exclusive to only the 12.4 release.

It's just retarded that I'm gonna have to install old drivers on my fresh install of Windows.

At the very least, if you have owned a recent AMD video card you know that their drivers are subpar. I bought a 6950 when is first came out and it took MONTHS to get decent, stable drivers released. Dont forget the cursor issue. Now with D3, not being supported with 12.4, isn't a disaster but just another example of AMD fumbling driver releases.

The Blizzard tech support guy said the same thing happens with the release version of the game as of right now and he himself recommends using an older version of Catalyst to get the game to launch.

Did you even bother reading any of the posts?

No one is questioning if the game can run with good performance.

The problem is that the game isn't launching with 12.4 installed. Is it an AMD problem? Is it a Blizzard problem? No one knows right now, but it's bullshit either way. I don't want to launch the game on May 15 and be greeted with a "This video card is not supported" error.

And yet people say all the hate about AMD/ATI's drivers is unfounded. Christ, they have sucked since the mid 90's and will never stop sucking.

All this bitching and complaining about AMD and it turns out Blizzard is the one causing 12.4 not to work, can I assume you guys will now start talking shit about Blizzard?

Yeah, this Blizzard announcement is a head scratcher. I also loaded the Diablo 3 beta over this past weekend with Catalyst 12.4 installed with a 7970 and it ran fine. Now I just tried it after hearing this news and though the beta ended yesterday, the "Play" button is still selectable but hitting it throws up the error message that the 7900 series isn't support. I'm baffled what has happened that caused Blizzard to withdraw support for the 7900 series with the 12.4 drivers. It didn't look like there were any obvious problems visually and the performance was fine even with max settings running at 2560x1600 resolution. Maybe there was something screwy going on with the 12.4 drivers behind the scenes but it wasn't anything I noticed? Puzzling....

Update - this was just added to the Blizzard forum thread about 12.4 support. Someone posted to say he had played the beta with 12.4 installed and that the compatibility warning could be bypassed by hitting ESC. Blizzard support responded:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4768329726

Still no description of what exactly the Blizzard Q&A discovered about the 12.4 drivers.

Just FYI but Blizzard is claiming that being able to bypass the 12.4 warning is only because the beta client allows it. Don't know what's going on still...until AMD or Blizzard gives us an actual explanation? Beta + 12.4 doesn't mean anything...I await Retail + 12.4 + bypass (if possible) + working.

Really? Others were running 12.4's and say that they can play it. Something clearly doesn't add up.

D3 working fine here with 12.5 beta and 4X 7970 Quad-Fire.

So much panic for nothing. The usual AMD hate-fest... :)

If the 12.4 drivers worked fine until Blizzard changed something, wouldn't that make it Blizzard's problem?

Back