a

• Thread starter Deleted member 104402
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 104402

a

Last edited by a moderator:
>>without the wireless router

When you say "without the wireless router" does that mean you are turning off the wireless part in the setup, you are turning off wireless on the PC, you are disconnecting the whole router.... ?

Is there another wireless router in addition to the dgl-4300?

DSL, cable modem, (maybe also wireless), what's the setup?

If the router is only 6 feet away, use an ethernet cable instead of wireless.
Wired is better/faster than wireless.

update the firmware on the router, what are your wireless settings ?

dashpuppy, dlink hasn't released a firmware update for this router since 2007. i haven't changed much of the default settings other than DHCP server disabled and turbo mode on.

are there some settings that i should be looking to change?

yeah do what i suggested and then re-configure!

First just plug the PC into the router with a cable. That will tell you whether the problem is in the wireless connection or the fact that it's going through the router.

Older routers are getting to the point of being too slow for faster connections. There are lots of things that can slow down a wireless connection. The proper solution depends on finding out where the actual problem is.

dashpuppy, dlink hasn't released a firmware update for this router since 2007. i haven't changed much of the default settings other than DHCP server disabled and turbo mode on.

are there some settings that i should be looking to change?
yeah do what i suggested and then re-configure!

You didn't really suggest anything.
update the firmware on the router, what are your wireless settings ?
Based on K10's statement that they haven't released anything since 2007, I inferred that there isn't any update available for him to apply. It would be nice to know what his settings are like now, so we could point out any issues. "Re-configure!" isn't really a good answer when someone implies that they don't really know what to change by asking if there are any specific settings they should be looking for.

Also, what operating system are you running. That's going to give us a bit more information.

i'm running vista 64. InvisiBill is probably right about my router being old. relative to my new motorola modem SB6120, it's definitely outdated.

here are some of the settings that i manually changed:

-- mac address filter enabled
-- dhcp server disabled
-- WPA2 only

i left alone the other settings because frankly, i'm not a networking whiz.

I know this is an old topic but I just googled my issues and this came up.

I am having speed issues as well and thought it was my internet but it's my router I believe. I also have a dgl 4300 and sb6120 modem. I get about 9-15 mb down all the time when I should be getting 25. The upload is always fine. Every time I disconnect the router my speeds are fine. I'm going to purchase a new router today and hopefully this issue goes away. I'm thinking it's just because the router is ancient.

Updating my previous subject. I bought a Linksys E4200 today at best buy on sale and my connection is working like a dream so far. I wonder what could have been wrong with the old router? It was good while it lasted I suppose.

Here's a test, this one was the best out of like 8 tests, played call of duty on xbox all day and got picked as host every time. The router was surely overpriced but worth it to me imo. http://www.speedtest.net/result/1211053159.png

Oddly enough, I have the 4300 and my speeds are great. Mine likes to drop wireless connections without prejudice, though. Glad I'm all wired :)

Back