Detect Wifi Issues - Dropped Packets?

SAgosto

Limp Gawd
My wife is experiencing "connection issues" with her iPhone while using FaceTime. I performed numerous SpeedTests and typically see 40-75MB down and 25-40MB up but that won't show random dropped packets or spotty issues. Here's my setup:

4,5000sq. center colonial
Netgear AC 1450 on 1st floor
Netgear AC 1200 (R6200) on 2nd floor
3 - TP-LINK TL-PA6010KIT AV600 Powerline Adapter in man cave/1st floor/2nd floor
I also use have 2 different 6 port swiches that hardwire 3 AVRs, 2 Rokus, "wireless" printer, and a few other devices.

Only smart phones/tablets/laptops use Wifi. I heavily use Roku/Plex (1 wireless and 1 wired) and stream Bluray rips w/o issues. My setup seems to work nice but not sure if the 2nd floor router really helps or is even necessary. I purchased it for coverage purposes on the 2nd floor. Also. I have a baby monitor and 2 Rocketfish rear wireless speaker systems so I suspect the 2.4GZ network is filled w/ interference. Luckly, I mostly use 5GZ. Should I replace the AC1450 for a AC1700 Nighthawk or equiv. router?

Is her Iphone on the the 2.4GHZ band? I would say get your wife a new phone that runs on the 5GHZ band.

The only 2.4GHZ is my daughter's Kindle Fire which is rarely used. I believe everything else is on the 5GHZ network. i suspect AC1450 is plenty fast but that doesn't mean the router has good antenee.

So here's the deal, if she has both APs added to her phone, the phone will likely try to switch between the two or pick the wrong AP. When that occurs packet loss is going to occur. I'd first just take one of the APs out of the equation, but I'm guessing you aren't going to be able to get that much coverage from one AP. You'll want to use some type of app to see what coverage each AP does have, and see if you can get one to cover as needed. If not you'll probably want to look at some type of mesh solution as they will properly hand off between the APs so the client isn't dropped and having to reconnect to a new AP.

IMO - don't use two wireless routers as isolated access points. It sounds like you already have the wiring. Just do as Vengance_01 suggested and get real access points and a router. I would suggest the following setup to start:
  1. Sell your current routers - All of them if possible
  2. Get a Unifi USG for your router to connect to your ISP
  3. Get a UAP-AC Lite - configure for band steering
    • If you plan on increasing the amount of wireless clients, you may want to consider spending the extra for the 3x3 Mimo UAP-AC-PRO (~$50 more)
  4. Use the Unifi CloudKey for the Unifi Controller if you don't have a device that you can configure to run it 24x7
Total cost is under $270 on Amazon:

upload_2017-12-18_12-17-28.png

Back