• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Desktop Speaker Input Extension/Speaker Volume Control Unit - HELP!

pimpingiraffe

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 15, 2001
Messages
1,278
So, in the computer lab I work in we have small units that go on the desktop for plugging into either the speaker input, the line input or the microphone input. These are simple extensions from the back of the computer and the only thing the unit does besides extend the inputs from the back of the computer to the desktop is control the volume of the speakers/headphones when you plug them in. We use them so students don't have to plug their headphones into the back of the computer saving us administrative headaches.

The problem I'm running into is we don't have enough of these and I cannot find more! The units we have are simple white plastic boxes with one knob on them and no identification whatsoever. They're old, so we have no way of finding something to replace them with. I've spent hours searching on google and can't even figure out what to call the device, so I haven't found anything. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please help me find some of these!

Here is a photo of what the device looks like.

 
At my school, all of our window's computer has ports in the front, but I know that doesn't help. But on the Mac's, they just give us an extension cable for the audio.
 
you could make them with some minimal soldering skills..
3 1/8in sterio mini jack -male
3 more female
a project box
3 lengths of 3 conductor cable or 1 lenght of 9 conductor
and 1 sterio potentiohmeter

althought do they need mic and line??? usually just one or the other will do..

2 1/8in sterio mini jack -male
2 more female
a project box
2 lengths of 3 conductor cable or 1 lenght of 6 conductor
and 1 sterio potentiohmeter

wire loom and shrink wrap if you want to get fancy, the first one will take some time to make, but once you have it figured out you should be able to knock these out at about 10min a pop
 
Back
Top