Dell XPS 400 Mobo problem

viskii420

n00b
What's up guy's and gal's ;)
I been searching on this site 4 awhile so I decided to register. It's my first post so no flames please =)
My name is Vick.

Since its Mobo problem thought this is the right thread to post on.

I been having trouble with xps 400 desktop. A friend of mine gave me this computer to install new OS (xp media center) on new HD that he bought. Apparently i have trouble accessing keyboard. When the bios uploads key board is missing, Since xps400 only has usb's and no PS2 plug it makes it impossible to access bios to check any configurations.

I did install the OS on the new HD from my computer and try to run it on the xps system but it gave me blue screen code 0x00000078.

The only solution that I want to try is to create PS2 plug and connected to motherboard but before that i want to hear any other easy way fixing this mess.

ps2 to Mobo
cpx109_2p2.gif

Did you try the keyboard in ALL of the USB slots in the rear? And did you try more then one keyboard? I just fixed a dell xps 420 for someone, and did a full format/reinstall and had zero issues.

Just some thoughts for you incase you had not tried the above suggestions

I did try on all usb connections. front and back. no connection nor power to keyboard.

Hmm did you open it up and make sure all the USB plugs are plugged in? And try a different keyboard? It should detect them no problems since it is made that way, I didnt have any issues at all

I would suggest you could also call dell and ask them why this is like that, they are quick to try to help

You will need to reset your motherboard to factory settings to get your usb ports working again,as I had to do that when my son's XPS 410 all failed.I had to take the yellow pin and put it in the clearcmos 2 pin connection(look in your manual for location) and wait 5 seconds and put the yellow pin back in it's location,reboot and all your usb ports should work again. You will have to change the clock and any settings(like no floppy etc),since it's put back to factory settings. Dell is screwy for not having a regular ps2 as a option in case the usb's died

I tried to do motherboard reset both of the jumpers are full. Do i clear the Cmos jumper for a reset I'm kinda confused. any ideas. This is the motherboard lay out.

techov13.jpg

Since the layout of your motherboard is different,read the manual for resetting your cmos and it may be a different technique.

Normally there WOULD be a jumper there, you would just need to move it from the two pins it is already on to the next 2 over

I tried to do motherboard reset both of the jumpers are full. Do i clear the Cmos jumper for a reset I'm kinda confused. any ideas. This is the motherboard lay out.

techov13.jpg

You should not have a jumper on the RTCRST jumper. You put the password jumper on it for 5 seconds and take it off. The bluescreen is 0X0000007B not 78. 7B is in accessable boot device. You need to make sure you fix the MBR and recreate the boot.ini.

Unplug all USB devices and power. Hold the power button for 10 seconds. Then take the password jumper and "short" the clear CMOS jumper for about 5 seconds. Then remove the jumper and replace it on the password. Then attach only the keyboard.

Boot the system and hit F2. If you can enter the BIOS the keyboard works (duh eh :D).

Let us know.

I did that before. I gave it an other shot. Nothing. Same issue.
I did purchase PCI PS/2 card for Mouse or Keyboard.
f76f_1.JPG

curios if it works.

I would call dell and ask, they are great at answering the phone quick, and usually help you right away. I am sure they can help you very easily, even if you did not buy directly from them. And surely they have already had plenty of these calls since there is no PS2 port, they surely have a very quick answer.

I would call asap, and stop giving yourself a headache over this! Here is the Chat, Phone, and Email support page (I would Call them)
http://support.dell.com/support/top...are/contact_technical_support?c=us&l=en&s=gen

Back