Dell Vostro hdd+gfx upgrade possible?

ahmadmz

Weaksauce
Hi, I am thinking about getting a very cheap vostro or inspiron. Cpu and ram are good, the only thing i am worried about is that I might need more hdd space later, and a better graphics card. Since I am short on money right now, I was thinking if I can just get 80GB hdd and the GeForce 8400 GS for now and later sometime upgrade. Is it possible to upgrade either? If not then is there any good laptop around 500-600 range that is upgradeable?

Go for the 8600 now, HDD later. You won't be able to drop another GPU in there without voiding the warranty. If that still offends the budget, lower the CPU or RAM a bit. RAM (and sometimes CPU) is far cheaper to upgrade outside of Dell's offers anyway.

I have a Dell Vostro 1500.

Specs:
Core 2 Duo T5270 1.4Ghz
WSXGA+ 15.4 Wide Screen
2 GB Ram
128 Geforce 8400M GS
160GB HD
Dell Wireless Pre-N Wi-Fi Internal Card
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal
Integrated 2.0 mega pixel Web Camera

Here is what I suggest.

Get the best screen and video card now. Yes you can upgrade the video later after warranty expires. It is about $200 to get the 8600 later, so easier to buy it now.
I did not want to spend the money on the nicer screen but it was soo freakin worth it now that I have it. I don't game a lot on it, so the graphic card works for me but i kinda wish i had gotten the better one.

Hard drive is an easy upgrade later.

Mine can play C&C 3 pretty well, but does slow down.
Normal XP runs super fast. Even F@H runs very smoothly.
Spend the money on a good system minus hard drive and add that later.
Mem is also easy to add late down the road, but 2 GB minium ...

Back