Dell U2312HM - IPS Panel Glow?

Mr. Stryker

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 15, 2005
Messages
5,220
I run dual Dell 23" screens. One is the U2312HM with the IPS panel (oh looky here, the link is dead for the product page) and a S2330MX with the TN panel.

The colors are awesome on the U2312HM, however the catch is.. The IPS's screen itself, the panel, I don't know whatever it's called but it has this glow or glitter for dark backgrounds, especially during night missions in ArmA II or dark areas in BF3.

That bothers me, while it doesn't happen on my TN S2330MX and it is actually more pleasant playing on the cheaper variant. My Dell 2407WFP didn't have this problem, but it was too dark, so I sold it. Maybe I shouldn't have...

You know, when you move your head around to look at the "glow" that the panel gives off...

Is this normal? My roommate who has a U2711 screen came and sat down, gave my screen a look and was immediately disturbed by it, rendering nighttime playing useless. I'm this close to selling it since it's probably not for gaming, even though the colors are awesome.. *sighs*
 
honestly i have like 3 ips panels and ive tested that one you have , its pretty normal except if it bothers alot when dark scenes come up but you get used to it , also try to bring your brightness down a notch , may mess up your contrast , but your playing at night anyway
 
I have a U2312HM and I feel your pain. Not only is there some silvery IPS glow, but the base contrast of the monitor seems to be a bit on the low side. My other monitor, U2311H, doesn't have these issues. The IPS glow on it is purple (and less noticeable) and the contrast is pretty much flawless for an IPS panel.

It's a shame how Dell chose to cut costs for its manufacturing process (I'm guessing LED monitors are cheaper to make, or we wouldn't be flooded with them), while offering us inferior products at the same price level as the tried-and-true old models with CCFL, which they completely retired.
 
Last edited:
This is the biggest reason I still have my 2408wfp, blacks are only second to plasma, crt and oled. Keeps the black levels off angle too.
 
This is the biggest reason I still have my 2408wfp, blacks are only second to plasma, crt and oled. Keeps the black levels off angle too.

man that for sure a hard screen to leave , ive seen it in person . . . your old school like i was , sacrifice for resolution . . . but worse pva has deep blacks like you said plasma
 
I tried to give it another go, but I just cannot stand it. Now that you mention about the purplish glow on my 2407WFP, you're right, it had that color (I'm not sure though) as it was wayyy less noticeable.

I'm kinda mad at myself for selling the 2407WFP recently. Shouldn't have done that... /thud
 
I tried to give it another go, but I just cannot stand it. Now that you mention about the purplish glow on my 2407WFP, you're right, it had that color (I'm not sure though) as it was wayyy less noticeable.

I'm kinda mad at myself for selling the 2407WFP recently. Shouldn't have done that... /thud

out of forum thread pm what you got next ?
 
Back
Top