Dell/TFT "INPUT LAG"....

dc'

n00b
Joined
Feb 19, 2003
Messages
20
ok, so many of us are aware about the Dell TFT's and their 'input lag', I myself have had 2 of these in the past, both of which have had input lag, and it drove me absolutely insane, I just couldnt operate using something with that kind of pointer/cursor/mouse lag

for me, this is probably the most important issue when buying a new monitor, since it makes a very big difference when not only playing games, but even when running on your desktop screen..

so, i was hoping we could make a thread were people can discuss and compare their input lag on the various TFT's they've purchased (prefferably the 24" and above ones)

I was considering buying a 2407, but im finding it quite difficult to find any solid threads or information as to if they have input lag etc, at first I saw some people say they shouldnt be much different from the 2405, but then I saw someone post that they only have 10-20ms input lag, vs the 40-50 of the 2405,

oh, and to anyone who has never experienced this input lag on a dell before, i can assure you it is extremely annoying, wether or not thats me being fussy is another matter, but IMO anyone with a set of eyes should be able to notice this, i can't believe people who say they have a 2405 and dont notice the "lag", the only thing i could believe is you have a different model that dosent suffer from the same problem, but im hoping the technology isnt based on a "gamble" style like dead pixels are, and that you dont just have to 'get lucky', like that.....

has anyone tried a 2407 that can give me any details as to its input lag?

any info is appreciated!

Also, can anyone recommend any good 24" TFT's that would meet the following terms;

1) DEFINETLY don't suffer from input lag
2) are unlikely to have dead pixels
3) are good for gaming

thanks!
 
Use Google to search these forums. I have had the 2405 and returned it primarily because of the lag (it was also annoying to eyes despite being super sharp). You're far from only one seeing this. 2407 and 3007 (which I now have) don't seem to have any perceptible lag. I photographed the 3007 showing 0-24ms lag versus a CRT but I can't really detect that and it doesn't bother me in fast FPS games (2405 was photographing at 34-51 ms). The 2407 may have blurry text problem like the 2007 as far as I can tell from these forums (that might be fixable through a firmware update just like the 2007 but I'm guessing here). I'm also not sure about it's viewing angles since it's a SPVA panel. Hope this helps.
 
another question also;

is banding an issue in VGA mode? or just DVI
 
I think the color band issue has been resolved by a firmware update. Specifically you will not see color band in desktop mode. No change is made in video mode and game mode, but you won't notice it. According to Dell, it is a kinda color mangement feature. The new firmware offers an option letting you turn it off.
 
DusanV said:
Use Google to search these forums. I have had the 2405 and returned it primarily because of the lag (it was also annoying to eyes despite being super sharp). You're far from only one seeing this. 2407 and 3007 (which I now have) don't seem to have any perceptible lag. I photographed the 3007 showing 0-24ms lag versus a CRT but I can't really detect that and it doesn't bother me in fast FPS games (2405 was photographing at 34-51 ms). The 2407 may have blurry text problem like the 2007 as far as I can tell from these forums (that might be fixable through a firmware update just like the 2007 but I'm guessing here). I'm also not sure about it's viewing angles since it's a SPVA panel. Hope this helps.
So while the 2407 has a SPVA panel, theres no input lag ?
That would mean that input lag is not caused by SPVA than.
Isnt there any overdrive in the 2407?
 
Justifire said:
So while the 2407 has a SPVA panel, theres no input lag ?
That would mean that input lag is not caused by SPVA than.
Isnt there any overdrive in the 2407?
That was a single report of non-lagging from a guy in Hong Kong so take it with a grain of salt. Expect more (and photos) when they actually start shipping here in North America.
 
Back
Top