Dell ST2420L - VESA inside?

IOmonkey

n00b
Joined
Aug 18, 2004
Messages
44
Has anyone taken apart a monitor that does not come with VESA mounts to see if there are VESA mounts inside, just not accessible with the bezel on?

We have a lot of Dell ST2420L monitors here (purchased by mgmt for the price) but they do not have VESA mounts. I'm not able to pull one apart, so curious if anyone else has. I am wondering if the chassis inside comes with VESA mount points but they just chose to leave them inaccessible with the plastic bezel design (like to force people to buy the next model up).

Alternatively, if someone could link basic instructions for safely removing the bezel, I'll take a look myself.

Thanks!
 
Update on this: Managed to pull the front bezel off (pull straight up on the LCD side of the bezel-edge) and got access to the internals (no tools required).

However, turns out that even if there were VESA mounts in there, the actual design of the monitor would prevent you from running with the casing off. The front bezel and rear case sandwich the LCD and inverter panel (PCB of some sort) together and lock with clips. If you remove the plastic outsides, you have two loose pieces (ok connected via ribbon cables), so no go.

I did not have enough time to actually unplug all the cables and really look at the rear, and once I'd discovered the fact that it's two pieces, I gave up.


That being said, someone on Ars mentioned that they have seen designs that had the VESA lugs but the casing prevented their use. So maybe it's just these cheap Dells that are the problem. I'd imagine any monitor designed in this manner will be without VESA.
 
Back
Top