Dell SLI 17" Laptop 984 @dell.com

groebuck

2[H]4U
* Sapphire Blue Color
* Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium Edition SP1
* Microsoft Works
* 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
* 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
* 250GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive Free Fall Sensor
* CD / DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
* NVIDIA SLI Dual GeForce 9800M GT 1GB GDDR3
* Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card
* 85 WHr Lithium Ion Battery (9-cell)
* High Definition Audio 2.0
* McAfee 15 month
* 17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA (1920x1200)
* Logitech GamePanel Display
* LoJack for Laptops Theft Protection

ZL8GCRDBC$F3BH = $984 (coupon code)

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...6643&acd=10495476-1225267-u0t0f0fp20821c0s441

Yeah, really good deal. LOL @ "NVIDIA® SLI™ Dual GeForce® 9800M GT 1GB GDDR3 [Included in Price]
If 'n00b', 'Frag' and 'pwn' are part of your vocabulary... you want this card."

I remember spending ~$1050 several years ago for a then top of the line GeForce Ti4200go laptop and thinking that was a good deal. :p

edit: the RAID option for $25 extra is probably worth it if you're going to upgrade the hard drive yourself. The second bay tray is going to cost more than $25 when you want one, and you can dump the 250GB drives too.

Last edited:
Just curious, when I went through the setup I changed a couple things. But the coupon code only gave me 15 bucks off, so is there some other special running on the prices or something? Seems in general to be a fairly low price for what it is even without the code.

That is the discount, just $15 (from OP: $999 - $15 = $984AC). That doesn't even cover the scam state environmental fee ($16, doubled from $8 a few months ago... Dell will take it back for recycling anyways). The base price does seem to be heavily discounted for that config.

I think FatCash will give you back ~$29.50 if you click through there.

9800M GT SLI = 8800M GTX SLI

That is a monster laptop for $1000... just bump up the CPU to the T8300 ($60) and buy some extra RAM on newegg (~$50) and voila...

more so the deal maker is the screen res - hard to find a high res 17" laptop screen (for under 1000 ) and dells are usually really good.

This is the laptop for me that I've been waiting for. I need to replace this old 8 year work lappy.

How can this be real? It's the same price as their M1730 with SLI 8700M GT, and the coupon only takes off $15.

Dell has deals like this sometimes. If you're interested in one, order it soon. These deals tend to end pretty quickly.

Three questions for which I haven't seen specifics:

Does it come with Vista 32-bit or 64-bit?
Can you OC the CPU?
If you select RAID "protection" (RAID 1, I assume) can you reformat for RAID 0?

Edit: God dammit. In for one. Selected the C2D 8400, 320 7200RPM (would rather have a single, fast HD for a laptop), and the Bluetooth option. Used my EPP for additional $40 off :)

Last edited:
I'm in for one. It'll be the perfect PC for my getaway pad in FL. :D

I upgraded the processor and wireless card. I'll grab a 4GB memory kit from the Egg, too.

Thanks, OP!!

How quickly do you normally get an order Confirmation of order from Dell? I submitted a several hours ago, and although I got the "Acknowledgement" e-mail, I've yet to get a confirmation and the order doesn't show up on my Dell account yet.

Ordered, been looking for a new replacement for my XPS Gen 2.

Ended up getting the T8300, 128GB Solid State Drive plus 250GB SATA HD, AGEIA PhysX™ 100M, and Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965a/g/n Everything else was default

After I ordered I went and configured it on the normal website and it came out to $2024 shipped/taxed where through that link it was only $1463 shipped/taxed. Thats a pretty nice discount. As well as no interest for 12 months through my Dell preferred account I just couldn't pass it up.

Only got 2gb as I can get two 2gb stick from newegg for like $50. 8GB looks to be still to steep for me.

Last edited:
On the weekends it takes aprox. 24-48 hours for it to show up under your account. Be patient, it'll be there soon.

Amazing deal though. The lower res. screen is still a beautiful screen and allows you to max out your resolution on high end games without losing playability. I bought 2.

Also ordered two. Perfect for work and play.

I didn't get the processor upgraded, i'm going to pickup a X9000 to go along with this, same with memory (system takes 8gb ram).

I did get the dual 128GB SSD drives, Bluetooth, and physx upgrades.

Pretty amazing deal if you ask me. Normal price on these were 2,700 each, got em for 1,449.

Man the XPS got ugly, but this deal is smokin. I don't need a mobile gaming desktop though.

On the weekends it takes aprox. 24-48 hours for it to show up under your account. Be patient, it'll be there soon.

Amazing deal though. The lower res. screen is still a beautiful screen and allows you to max out your resolution on high end games without losing playability. I bought 2.

Thanks for the reassurance. Ya, figured that it would take longer to process over the weekend, but just wanted to be sure... I'm replacing my beloved P-7811 FX with this, and figure the 2x 9800 GT will be a nice improvement. I've been wanting an XPS like this since way back in the day, but they've always been way too cost-prohibative.

Still can't figure out whether the BIOS allows OC or whether the OS is 32 or 64-bit (would suck if 32-bit as only 3gb RAM would be used). Also, it's ambiguous whether the 9800 GT's are each 512mb or 1024mb versions... any ideas?

In any respect, awesome deal. Thanks Slickdeals (and OP)!

Thanks for the reassurance. Ya, figured that it would take longer to process over the weekend, but just wanted to be sure... I'm replacing my beloved P-7811 FX with this, and figure the 2x 9800 GT will be a nice improvement. I've been wanting an XPS like this since way back in the day, but they've always been way too cost-prohibative.

Still can't figure out whether the BIOS allows OC or whether the OS is 32 or 64-bit (would suck if 32-bit as only 3gb RAM would be used). Also, it's ambiguous whether the 9800 GT's are each 512mb or 1024mb versions... any ideas?

In any respect, awesome deal. Thanks Slickdeals (and OP)!

The BIOS and the system is geared for overclocking. You are also able to pick this system up with an X9000 (extreme edition) if you wanted to overclock more. The system was designed for that.

If it's 32bit, which is more than likely is given the 4gb limitation on that page info, it's not a big deal. You can install a 64bit copy using a 32bit key, the keys are interchangeable on 64/32bit copies.

I am assuming that they are 512's each and hoping that they are 1gb each, it would be a nice surprise.

Also, it's ambiguous whether the 9800 GT's are each 512mb or 1024mb versions... any ideas?

After reading around, it looks like 2x 512mb 9800gt's. I was so close to buying this, but at 1920x1200 with the 512mbs I will pass. If it was 2x 1gb, I would've bought it.

Tempting at around $1k.

First of all, after my nvidia based hp laptop burned up 6 months out of 1yr warranty (and wasn't on their handful of P/N numbers they decided to extend the warranty on), I would never consider buying any electronics that cost $1k or more without an extended warranty to 3yrs total if possible. So thats an additional $250 or so depending on the cost of the ext. warranty vs. most mfg's only having 1 yr warranty to start with.

The other thing I'd like to mention is in regards to loading the base ~ $1000 deal with optional hardware to make it $1450 or more, then in my case I'd need to extend the dell 1yr warranty for a few more years and at dell thats +200 for 2 yr total, + $300 for 3 yr total . Now its getting a stepcloser into the territory of the asus W90-vp x1 I've been eyeballing for around $2400, which has crossfire 4870's and comes with 6gb ram, and has a 1920x1200 18.4" screen, bluray player, q9000 cpu, built in overclocking utility, and comes with 2 yrs asus solid warranty by default.

So for $1k + $200 or +$300 warranty I'd be tempted other than the fact that its nvidia mobile gpus and I'm not sure about dell warranty/rma. Any higher than that I think I'd wait on different options. I'm still leaning toward mobile radeon but these nvidia based deals keep coming out that offer a lot of performance for $1k less than the asus DTR I want. :rolleyes:

Man the XPS got ugly,
I wish it looked more like the Studio 17, but this XPS is a bigger system (10 lbs+). There should be an option for a style made for people over age 20. ;)

Extreme to the MAX, DUDE!

*blinks*

Wow that's a deal. I literally have no use for such a laptop, but I'm still tempted to buy just because it's such a good deal. And Ockie, RAID 128GB SSDs is just pure badass, I'd be very interested to see how it performs :cool:.

The fact that the 9800M GT's use 512mb each instead of 1024mb really doesn't make a difference. Do you really think you need 2gb of vram to play games smoothly at 1080p? If the 512mb versions can't handle Crysis maxed at 1920x1200 then the 1024mb versions won't do any better.

Yah, 512 will not be holding you back on anything the slower gpu's in the mobile will. For that price I'd jump all over it if I needed one atm.

Tempting at around $1k.

First of all, after my nvidia based hp laptop burned up 6 months out of 1yr warranty (and wasn't on their handful of P/N numbers they decided to extend the warranty on), I would never consider buying any electronics that cost $1k or more without an extended warranty to 3yrs total if possible. So thats an additional $250 or so depending on the cost of the ext. warranty vs. most mfg's only having 1 yr warranty to start with.

The other thing I'd like to mention is in regards to loading the base ~ $1000 deal with optional hardware to make it $1450 or more, then in my case I'd need to extend the dell 1yr warranty for a few more years and at dell thats +200 for 2 yr total, + $300 for 3 yr total . Now its getting a stepcloser into the territory of the asus W90-vp x1 I've been eyeballing for around $2400, which has crossfire 4870's and comes with 6gb ram, and has a 1920x1200 18.4" screen, bluray player, q9000 cpu, built in overclocking utility, and comes with 2 yrs asus solid warranty by default.

So for $1k + $200 or +$300 warranty I'd be tempted other than the fact that its nvidia mobile gpus and I'm not sure about dell warranty/rma. Any higher than that I think I'd wait on different options. I'm still leaning toward mobile radeon but these nvidia based deals keep coming out that offer a lot of performance for $1k less than the asus DTR I want. :rolleyes:

Dell has one of the best warranty programs out there. We use them for our business and it's top notch, especially if you have a history with them or you buy it on your business account.

*blinks*

Wow that's a deal. I literally have no use for such a laptop, but I'm still tempted to buy just because it's such a good deal. And Ockie, RAID 128GB SSDs is just pure badass, I'd be very interested to see how it performs :cool:.

Yes, i figured why not. The 128GB SSD's to upgrade were $150 each, you can't even buy them for that much, cheapest 128GB SSD on newegg is $279 alone, so that made it a great deal IMO.

I'm quite interested to see for myself, I hope they are good disks.

I have a Dell M70 and I don't know how much it is worth anymore. I bought it for around $2,000 several years back.

I don't use laptop much anymore since I already have a good desktop. But boy, this is an amazing price and my fingers are itching to buy.

Back