Dell 700m takes forever to boot

When I boot my Dell 700m it boots at average speed to the login screen. I click on my profile and it then shows my background, but no icons or start menu or anything. Only a cursur. It takes about 5 mintues for the icons etc to appear. Any thoughts? Thanks.

did you format it once you got it? if not dell puts in alot of crap - i would suggest a clean format.

MrGuvernment said:
did you format it once you got it? if not dell puts in alot of crap - i would suggest a clean format.
I have the same laptop and from the factory it doesn't behave like he's reporting...

5 minutes? Damn, that's not cool :eek: Call Dell and see what they say, they might just replace it.. or send a new hd at least :) It's really weird, mine does take it's sweet time to boot, but it's nowhere near 5 minutes you talking about - and I didn't reinstall windows, still using factory-installed one ;)

Seriously, when I got my 6000 I couldnt believe all the crap, a clean reformat is a MUST!

Clean out your startup tab in msconfig.

I'd be willing to put money on the fact that you've got between 6 and 10 icons in your system tray.

do a fresh format NOW
I couldn't believe the amount of crap loaded onto my 700m
it took about 3-3 minutes to boot brand new

DNA Doc said:
Clean out your startup tab in msconfig.

I'd be willing to put money on the fact that you've got between 6 and 10 icons in your system tray.

right. It's start button > run > type msconfig > startup tab > unclick anything you don't need.

Also, how much RAM does a 700m ship with?

Mine shipped with 256MB, and granted that was slow until I got another 512MB, but I have seen what he is describing before on other machines...

I do agree that he should clean out any unnecessary programs from startup.

Yikes. If that baby still has 256mb of ram, that's a big problem right there. I've known very few computers that can run XP with 256mb, and not be made to constantly play the waiting game.

DNA Doc said:
Yikes. If that baby still has 256mb of ram, that's a big problem right there. I've known very few computers that can run XP with 256mb, and not be made to constantly play the waiting game.
5 minutes to wait for desktop icons after you boot up is definitely not normal and something I have seen even on PCs with a lot of RAM.

I've seen my 600m take a long time to bring me to the desktop when it is trying to re-attach to a wireless network that is not available. I think you hinted at having XP Home, but if not and that machine is trying to locate a domain that is not available you may see this.
Also, verify that you do not have any drive mappings or other network related services starting up if they are not available in that location.

-BKuhl

Morley said:
5 minutes to wait for desktop icons after you boot up is definitely not normal and something I have seen even on PCs with a lot of RAM.

Yeah, 5 minutes is definitely way off. There's something else up. I'd say that he's probably over-estimating the amount of time it takes and it's probably more like 2-3 minutes, which for a computer that's loaded down is pretty normal.

My 700m has been rock solid for 8 months now and I use it literally every day. Am I the only one who is leaning towards a spyware/adware problem? I am a broadband tech and in homes where I see such loading issues, many of the times it ends up being messed up files due to spyware and then the removal of the spyware. Some of these programs are removing the spyware programs but not getting everything out of the registry and you're computer is botting trying to load all this stuff that is half gone, etc.

IMO when a computer starts to run like this and you have no idea why, reformat and start fresh. Sometimes its just not worth the hassle going through and trying to pinpoint it.

Good luck.

invalid_ said:
My 700m has been rock solid for 8 months now and I use it literally every day. Am I the only one who is leaning towards a spyware/adware problem? I am a broadband tech and in homes where I see such loading issues, many of the times it ends up being messed up files due to spyware and then the removal of the spyware. Some of these programs are removing the spyware programs but not getting everything out of the registry and you're computer is botting trying to load all this stuff that is half gone, etc.

IMO when a computer starts to run like this and you have no idea why, reformat and start fresh. Sometimes its just not worth the hassle going through and trying to pinpoint it.

Good luck.
Definitely...try running AdAware...

bkuhl said:
I've seen my 600m take a long time to bring me to the desktop when it is trying to re-attach to a wireless network that is not available. I think you hinted at having XP Home, but if not and that machine is trying to locate a domain that is not available you may see this.
Also, verify that you do not have any drive mappings or other network related services starting up if they are not available in that location.

-BKuhl
yup. when my laptop boots up on campus in the range of the wireless network in the class buildings, it takes FOREVER for the desktop to come up, it just hangs there for 2-3 mins with the pointer and nothing else.

when its out of range of the network, it never happens. i always have the thing hibernating, so its not that big of a deal.

You might want to try running CCleaner on your laptop while you're at it. I ran this along with Spybot on a laptop that took forever to bootup. It fixed the problem for it.

It could be a failing hard drive. When my first e7k60 died, it took forever to load things as soon as windows started.

Back