Dell 5324 gigabit L2 (some 3) switch.

Order

Gawd
I've had this beauty sitting on my table for a few days now but I'm having a problem with connecting to the serial port to work on the CLI. Since this is a new unit, the CLI has to be set up before anything can be done. My laptop doesn't have a serial port and the usb-serial cable that I got from RadioShack (and promptly returned) didn't work. Does anyone know their way around this unit? I'd love to be able to just access the web-based management console via RJ45 or even fiber so I can get this bastard up and running.
Thanks in advance....

Edit:
Here's a link to the Dell info page:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_5324_1?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz

God damn it.
Ok, so I am able to work freely within the terminal-based configuration but for the life of me I cannot get the web-based configuration up and running. I know that this has to do with assigning the machine a global IP but I could have sworn I've already done so but I can't get into it. I'm able to run traffic through it (fast as hell, I might add, thank you 64mb RAM) but I can't get anywhere near it in my browser.

can you ping the mgmt interface you gave it?

should try doing that before going to the web

Um, stupid question:

Once you assigned your switch a unique IP address within your IP schema, did you input the IP HTTP SERVER or IP HTTPS SERVER command in config mode to actually enable the web-based management interface for the switch to accept traffic from your browser?

Just a thought.

Back