Dell 5324 Fan noise

h0mez

Limp Gawd
This thing is noisy and unfortunately at this time I can't hide it in a basement.

Anyone know what size fans these are and/or had experience replacing them with something quieter?

I`m guessing 40x40x10!?

They`re pretty common sizes whatever they are.

Depending on why they`re noisy, you may be able to quieten them down in about half an hour.

If they`re noisy cuz they`re loud, fast noisy fans then they need replacing, but if it`s cuz they`re all grumbly cuz the bearings have dried out you may be able to breathe a few more months of life back into them with some lightweight household oil.

DO NOT USE WD40.

Obviously these are two different reasons for being noisy, both requiring two different methods of silencing.

Dash`ll be here soon with some pics of some fan modifications he`s done and some recommendations for some makes/models of fan to use, as well as how to run them slower on 7 volts or even 5 volts.

Either way, there are a few options....

**edit**

Holy mother of god! They`re 9000 rpm Delta`s :eek::D

That`ll explain the noise then! They`ll need slower/quieter replacements, no amount of re-lubricating will silence them!!:D

Last edited:
Yea, they are loud LOL.

I'm looking at fans on newegg, and was wondering if anyone has fit 40x40x20mm fans in it. Or if they are sticking to 10mm. I also have heard I may have to mess with the wiring. I could just crack open my switch but I prefer not to without knowing whats all involved.

I`m guessing 40x40x10!?

They`re pretty common sizes whatever they are.

Depending on why they`re noisy, you may be able to quieten them down in about half an hour.

If they`re noisy cuz they`re loud, fast noisy fans then they need replacing, but if it`s cuz they`re all grumbly cuz the bearings have dried out you may be able to breathe a few more months of life back into them with some lightweight household oil.

DO NOT USE WD40.

Obviously these are two different reasons for being noisy, both requiring two different methods of silencing.

Dash`ll be here soon with some pics of some fan modifications he`s done and some recommendations for some makes/models of fan to use, as well as how to run them slower on 7 volts or even 5 volts.

Either way, there are a few options....

**edit**

Holy mother of god! They`re 9000 rpm Delta`s :eek::D

That`ll explain the noise then! They`ll need slower/quieter replacements, no amount of re-lubricating will silence them!!:D

ha ha.

Noise cancelling headphones. I cannot hear the PC 2624, Precision T7600, Optiplex 790 and 2 Drobo i800's on my desk.... come to think of it, I also cannot hear my phone either.

I don't recommend downsizing/altering/eliminating fans in switches. If you want a quiet switch, get a Linksys consumer switch or a fanless switch with the features and warranty you need.
Otherwise put the switch where noise won't be a factor.
I know good success has been reported with altering fans in switches, but it just sends the bad chills down my spine when I think of it. 40mm fans are only going to be varying degrees of loud, they could not be accurately described as quiet unless they are dead and burried.

Yea, they are loud LOL.

I'm looking at fans on newegg, and was wondering if anyone has fit 40x40x20mm fans in it. Or if they are sticking to 10mm. I also have heard I may have to mess with the wiring. I could just crack open my switch but I prefer not to without knowing whats all involved.

the 10 bit of the 40x40x10 is just the depth or thickness of the fan, not being familiar with the internals of that model, not sure whether you`d get away with the 20mm vs the 10mm or not, maybe someone else could chime in on that one....

Basically all you need is the slowest/quietest/lowest noise level figure with the highest cfm (Cubic Feet per Minute)/amount of moved air, In an ideal world we`d have a fan that made no noise at all and moved a shipload of air but in reality, that aint possible so we go for the quietest fan with the most moved air.

In the home environment you`re never gonna see the temps that these switches are designed to cope with in the environment they were designed to live in, So, take from that that you no longer need to move so much air to cool a device that will not be running so hot in the first place and you can safely choose slower/quieter fans that move less air and live safe in the knowledge that the switch won`t/shouldn`t overheat.

Also consider that there are switches out there that do not have ANY FANS AT ALL, namely the HP Procurve series amongst others.

There are options out there....

Here`s one, courtesy of ebay....

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't recommend downsizing/altering/eliminating fans in switches. If you want a quiet switch, get a Linksys consumer switch or a fanless switch with the features and warranty you need.
I know good success has been reported with altering fans in switches, but it just sends the bad chills down my spine when I think of it. 40mm fans are only going to be varying degrees of loud, they could not be accurately described as quiet unless they are dead and burried.

that's funny, because my dell 5224 was loud and now its very quiet, and no issues, WEIRD NSA2400 was loud, now it's quiet and runs perfectly too! ask wrench00, it was his that i modded.

To some degree I would agree, certainly with some equipment but a standard Gb switch, only a 24 port and no POE, I`d still stick with what I already posted...

In the home environment you`re never gonna see the temps that these switches are designed to cope with in the environment they were designed to live in, So, take from that that you no longer need to move so much air to cool a device that will not be running so hot in the first place and you can safely choose slower/quieter fans that move less air and live safe in the knowledge that the switch won`t/shouldn`t overheat.

Of course, this is my opinion and they`re like assholes.... everyones got one, but I think it goes without saying that any mods or changes to any of your own kit, whether suggested by me or whoever else, if any given user decides to make those changes to his own kit then he does so at his own risk.

But a standard, non-POE, 24 port switch in a home environment, I wouldn`t think twice.... but that`s just me...

To some degree I would agree, certainly with some equipment but a standard Gb switch, only a 24 port and no POE, I`d still stick with what I already posted...

Of course, this is my opinion and they`re like assholes.... everyones got one, but I think it goes without saying that any mods or changes to any of your own kit, whether suggested by me or whoever else, if any given user decides to make those changes to his own kit then he does so at his own risk.

But a standard, non-POE, 24 port switch in a home environment, I wouldn`t think twice.... but that`s just me...

if every port was full and the cpu load ont he switch was high, id he hesatant to mod it, but home environment you would be fine.

Look,

DSCN0027.JPG

DSCN0024.JPG

and just to add to this, this nsa2400 is being USED in a working environment..

lol, I knew that, just no smiley option on this android app. ;)

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

dashpuppy said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBadAl

A 6 port switch....

NSA2400 firewall

Also those fans are modded, did you say that was in a working environment? If so, why mod the fans?

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the CPU usage. But odds its not very high nor will it ever be. I got the switch to run iSCSI for vMotion on VMs that use very little disk.

I do have headphones, but the wife doesn't. So its good in that respect, its so noisy that I can't hear her complain about the noise. ha!

You could just jam a screwdriver in the fans, that'll quieten them down..... :)

So, what did you guys end up doing? The noise is really bad!

I'm thinking of replacing the fans, are they 40x40x10 or 40x40x20?

So, what did you guys end up doing? The noise is really bad!

I'm thinking of replacing the fans, are they 40x40x10 or 40x40x20?

Thought this thread looked familiar... I have a 2748, which is probably just as loud. I swapped them out for these. Still louder than I'd like, but tolerable.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You can probably get away with spinning the fans down as well, with either a resistor or if there is a 5 volt rail on that board's psu circuitry somewhere. If you want to be fancy you put in a thermistor and make the fans only come on/spin up based on temp.

Back